Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac User - I need serious guidance!

Just purchased a MacBook Air 13" notebook. My first ever use of a Mac. I have an existing home Wi-Fi network that has always been PC-based.

Now, I have joust purchased a "book"t6-cfs-lucia10

written in Chinese! Help!

My desktop PC has Bluetooth. I cannot get the Mac & PC to recognize each other. I can't share files across the network [on the Mac]. I can't even figure out how to restart the notebook or create favorites in Safari.

I am really at a loss and am wishing I had purchased the Samsung I was considering along with the Mac. I'm too old for this.

Seriously, though ... where can I find a user's guide to this thing?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 3:44 PM

Try the Help menus in the menubar.

Apple - Support - Mac 101

Apple - Support - Switch 101

OS X - Apple Support

4 replies

Aug 31, 2014 10:58 AM in response to richfed

Thank you for the replies ...

OK ... my MAC IS connected to my home wi-fi network ... I have browsed around using Safari and figured a few things out.

I want to now migrate my files from the PC to the Mac. Using one of the links you guys provided, I found these instructions to do so: Switch Basics: Migrate your Windows files to your Mac

However, the Migration Assistant that I downloaded to my PC is just sitting there, "Waiting for your Mac to connect". Meanwhile, on the Mac, I have a box entitled "Transfer Information to this Mac" opened up with a little spinning wheel below that which states, "Looking for source...". This has been going on for over 30 minutes, so it looks stalled at both ends. I don't think they are going to have a very good date!

I don't get it.

BTW, I noticed that by default, the Mac's firewall is turned off. Is that normal? I turned it on [PC habit]. Is that OK?

New Mac User - I need serious guidance!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.