Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browser compatibility with 10.6.8 and security update

Hi. I'm running Snow Leopard (v10.6.8) on a mid-2010 quad-core Mac Pro. According to Apple Support, Safari v5.1.10 (which I am running) is the recommended version for this OS. It works great except that every so often I get a warning about Safari not being able to verify the identity of the website "name" and I have to flush the DNS Cache using a Terminal command which I found online. When I was connected to the internet using Airport, the warning was popping up frequently but after switching to an ethernet connection it's much less of an issue. Is this something I'll just have to live with or is there anything else I can do?

My next question concerns the Security Update 2013-004 that Software Update displays as being an available update. I've read a little about it and it seems to apply mostly to the newer Mac operating systems. Should I just ignore it or will it be of any benefit to me? I don't want to download and install it if I don't really need it.

Lastly, is there a particular version of Firefox that anyone would recommend for 10.6.8? I think Firefox 18 was the first version that would work w/ Snow Leopard. How much higher should I go?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Digital Audio Recording

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 4:08 PM

What is your objection to not simply upgrading OS X to Mavericks?

Upgrading to Mavericks

You can upgrade to Mavericks from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Mavericks can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Mavericks

To upgrade to Mavericks you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Mavericks from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Mavericks is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mavericks

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2014 4:08 PM in response to stopmotion

What is your objection to not simply upgrading OS X to Mavericks?

Upgrading to Mavericks

You can upgrade to Mavericks from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Mavericks can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Mavericks

To upgrade to Mavericks you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Mavericks from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Mavericks is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mavericks

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Apr 24, 2015 12:30 PM in response to Kappy

With all due respect, Kappy, you are stating the obvious. There are many of us out there that prefer our working 10.6.8 environment for reasons too numerous to state. If you do not grok this, that's cool too, but just making the standard suggestion to upgrade to Apple's latest greatest OS, which is really more of a hand-holder than an OS, i dunno, dude,...

It's taken a long time to tweak many legacy applications, some of which are no longer offered, but which themselves, offer real world, professional results that may differ from the cookie cutter approach that Apple has, of necessity, adopted, to increase its market share in the impressive way it has.
One of the cool things about Apple is (or was, and still is for those that may choose not to upgrade) that you can kind of engineer your own environment inside of Apple's.

Apr 24, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Kappy

Sensitive? OK. I do, I use CarbonCopyCloner religiously. I know from iOS, that there are situations where you can't go back, when it comes to Apple's OS upgrades. I have considered just this, and perhaps you would be a good knowledgeable soul to ask: does Yosemite (or Mountain Lion for that matter) do any modifications on the file structure of disks formatted by or running earlier OS's that are attached to, or written to, by the Upgrading software? The type that happens in iOS, for example - where you could not go back to iOS v.6xxx once you'd upgraded to iOS v.7 ?? I seem to have seen this issue discussed on the excellent Macintouch forums run by Ric Ford. Thanks for your educated reply (if you can.)

Apr 24, 2015 2:07 PM in response to tommymandel

This sub-thread is part of a previous question posted last year. I hadn't noticed that before. I do not usually reply to a new post on an quite old topic. This really needs to end. If you have a problem you need solved you should post your own separate topic. In the future you should check when a topic was last active before positing to it.

Apr 24, 2015 2:31 PM in response to stopmotion

Hey stopmotion! I am also 10.6.8, and finding a working browser became problematic a week or so ago - Good news! I just downloaded Maxthon - it's a browser a lot like Firefox, Chrome and Safari - only it does play Youtube videos, doesn't lose keyboard command focus, and has some extra cool features. I'm hoping it will continue to perform well, but I will highly recommend it to you, based on a few hours of use, that's all I've had with it. Good luck!

Browser compatibility with 10.6.8 and security update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.