Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! The Garageband Sounds Won't Download

My apple store seems to be set up fine so it must be something to do with the garageband app. I know that the purchase of the additional sounds went through, because I was charged for it, I just am not able to get my sounds.

I open a document and click on restore purchase:

Then the download content window pops up and I hit continue.

And then I let it download, and wait the time it tells me. The minute it gets to the end it starts all over again. In other words it just won't let me get the sounds. I have tried everything, quitting the app, shutting down, logging on and off of the app store and nothing seems to work.

Any tips?

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 12:38 AM

Have you accepted GarageBand 10.0? See: GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unable to complete in-app purchase

Are you installing using an administrator account or signed in as a regular user?

If that is not the problem try to install the purchase with the mac running in Safe Mode, see this link:

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Safe mode will disable non-standard extensions that might be interfering with network connections to the AppStore.

As a last resort, remove GarageBand 10.0's cached preferences and other data from your user library:

To remove them completely, quit GarageBand, if it is running, open the folder ~/Library/Containers/ and remove the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/ .

Then restart the system, before you relaunch GarageBand

Your user library may still be hidden. To reveal it, simply select your Home folder (with the little House icon) in the Finder sidebar or the User folder. Then press ⌘J to show the "View" options.

In the View options panel enable "Show Library Folder". Now you will be always able to access the Library folder in your Home folder.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2014 12:38 AM in response to applehelp!

Have you accepted GarageBand 10.0? See: GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unable to complete in-app purchase

Are you installing using an administrator account or signed in as a regular user?

If that is not the problem try to install the purchase with the mac running in Safe Mode, see this link:

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Safe mode will disable non-standard extensions that might be interfering with network connections to the AppStore.

As a last resort, remove GarageBand 10.0's cached preferences and other data from your user library:

To remove them completely, quit GarageBand, if it is running, open the folder ~/Library/Containers/ and remove the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/ .

Then restart the system, before you relaunch GarageBand

Your user library may still be hidden. To reveal it, simply select your Home folder (with the little House icon) in the Finder sidebar or the User folder. Then press ⌘J to show the "View" options.

In the View options panel enable "Show Library Folder". Now you will be always able to access the Library folder in your Home folder.

Sep 7, 2014 5:26 PM in response to léonie

I've made more than 10 attempts to download my already purchased additional content by choosing Restore Purchase in Garageband 10.0.2. The download seems to complete after 10 minutes and then the install proceeds for a few minutes. My system Log shows this just after the install appears to finish:

• 08/09/2014 01:00:00.110 authexec[760]: executing /usr/sbin/installer
  • 08/09/2014 01:00:00.121 authexec[761]: executing /usr/sbin/installer
  • 08/09/2014 01:00:00.128 authexec[762]: executing /usr/sbin/installer
  • 08/09/2014 01:00:00.135 authexec[763]: executing /usr/sbin/installer
  • 08/09/2014 01:00:00.143 authexec[764]: executing /usr/sbin/installer

08/09/2014 01:02:34.473 mdworker[804]: Error loading /Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GarageBandSpotlightImpo rter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/GarageBandSpotlightImporter: dlopen(/Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GarageBandSpotli ghtImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/GarageBandSpotlightImporter, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/MAFiles.framework/Versions/A/MAFiles

Referenced from:

/Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GarageBandSpotlightImpo rter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/GarageBandSpotlightImporter

Reason: image not found

08/09/2014 01:02:34.474 mdworker[804]: Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory 5CE2D94A-5110-4E3C-A213-5221A7C67B29 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fbb08d110e0 </Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GarageBandSpotlightImp orter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)

08/09/2014 01:02:34.474 mdworker[804]: (Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file:///Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GarageBandSpotl ightImporter.mdimporter/'

08/09/2014 01:02:34.474 mdworker[804]: (Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file:///Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GarageBandSpotli ghtImporter.mdimporter/

Looks like the actual application is broken or at least missing a key library. I've also previously tried everything else to no avail.

Hope Apple can fix soon - I've got sounds to produce!

Sep 8, 2014 12:13 AM in response to Jeronimoz

You're right. That looks like GarageBand 10 were not working properly and is incomplete. Have you tried to reinstall GarageBand to fix the missing plug-in? And did run Software Update? GarageBand 10 should now be version 10.0.2.

When you ctrl-click or right click the GarageBand 10 application and use "Show Package Content", do you see the plug-in in the folder /Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GarageBandSpotlightImpor ter.mdimporter/?

It should have version 10.0.7

User uploaded file

To reinstall GarageBand look at the "Purchased" tab if GarageBand 10 is among your Purchases. Press "accept" if necessary.

If GarageBand is in your Purchases, delete GarageBand from the Applications. Reload the AppStore Purchased page (press command-R) and reinstall.

Then try the download again.

Sep 8, 2014 3:59 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

I do have the two plugins as shown and the SpotlightImporter is at version 10.0.7. I've repeated the delete and re-install process yet again and I still get the exact same errors in the console as before. I've also repaired permissions prior to attempting the Restore Purchases and get the same set of errors.

I think the actual binaries for the Garageband plugins must be corrupt on the App Store in some way - or there is a bug in the plugin somewhere.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jul 23, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Jeronimoz

Jeronimoz ,

I know exactly what you are going through.

😠😠😠
😢😢😢
😠😠😠 😢😢😢
😠😠😠 😢😢😢
😠😠😠 😢😢😢

Here is a link that (partially) chronicles my saga and how I ultimately resoled the problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread/7130062?answerId=28595620022#28595620022&ac_cid=op123456#28595620

Get past this and get back to making music !!

D

Help! The Garageband Sounds Won't Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.