Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed

For many years I had 2 email addresses - one was the pop email that came with my ADSL account and the other was the one I have with my Apple ID (username@me.com). I have since ended my ADSL connection and closed the account meaning that particular email is no longer valid. I then deleted it from the account settings in the Mail application, and in Internet Accounts in System Preference. To the best of my knowledge I have deleted/removed any reference to this obsolete email address, however when someone sends me an email they receive a 'Delivery has failed' automated response from the old pop account which is closed. This is despite receiving the email that was sent.

Clearly some type of link exists somewhere, or a reference to the obsolete email address, which is causing this issue. I can't just ignore this since everyone is receiving the "delivery has failed" automated response whenever they send me an email, and they think that the true email no longer exists.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to how to solve this problem.

Please note I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone all linked.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 27"; 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 2:04 AM

4 replies

Aug 31, 2014 3:34 AM in response to Esquared

Correct.

To my knowledge there is no forward set on the new@me.com address (In fact I didn't even know it was possible in Apple mail). I do have outlook but have only ever used it on my personal computers to access my work email as a means to keep them separate. As another point of interest - I had both emails concurrently for at least 5 or 6 years and often received duplicates (one to each address) but never got around to doing anything about determining the reason. It is only now when the old@whatever.com is not active and people/companies are receiving the automated response that it is becoming a problem. Especially since most of my accounts are set for email account statements and bills, etc.

Aug 31, 2014 3:40 AM in response to hotkeyz69

Forwarding is set up on the iCloud website, not in the Mail application, so if you haven't done so you should check there. Go to http://www.icloud.com , go to the Mail page and click the cogwheel icon at bottom left; choose 'Preferences' and in the 'General' tab of the pane which opens you will see an option to forward email. If this is checked, uncheck it.

If it isn't, you may have a forwarding hanging over from your old MobileMe account - there have been some problems over this sort of thing; you will need to contact iCloud support to see whether they can put a stop to it.

If you currently happen to have AppleCare, either because you recently bought Apple hardware or have paid to extend the inititial period, you can contact them here:

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/contact/

You will need the serial number of the covered hardware. If you are not covered by AppleCare, then - in common with other free email services - there is no free support and you may be asked to pay a fee.

Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.