Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally renamed all the file names on every single one of my 24000 photos in aperture using batch change ( keywords, metadata etc) Can I undo this action or will I need to restore from an earlier time machine/capsule backup?

Undoing a batch metadata filename change in Aperture3?

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 6:00 AM

Undoing a batch metadata filename change in Aperture3?

There is no "Undo" for metadata batch changes. Did you write the changes to the original files?

If your latest backup is a current one, restore from your backup.

5 replies

Aug 31, 2014 9:35 AM in response to léonie

Thanks I did write the changes to the originals and I've since noticed "only" about 11000 of my photos were affected. Still I think the restore is my best option, just a bit nervous having not done one before. I guess I go into time machine to the most recent backup before the calamity and select iPhoto library within the pictures folder and hit restore?

Aug 31, 2014 9:52 AM in response to fubband

I guess I go into time machine to the most recent backup before the calamity and select iPhoto library within the pictures folder and hit restore?

That's it. How much free disk space do you have? You could use "restore to" to restore to a different location. This way, you can compare your two libraries. Or make a copy of your current library before you restore.

I don't want to make you nervous, but sometimes restoring from Time Machine can go wrong. If you do not overwrite your current library, you can revert to your current library.

Aug 31, 2014 10:31 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, the library is 450gb and I only have 330 gb available but an external hard drive has been on my shopping list for a while so I think I'd rather heed your warning and wait til I can copy the library before I do anything drastic! Thanks very much for your helpful advice Léonie, I think I definitely fall into the "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" category!

Aug 31, 2014 10:57 AM in response to fubband

You're welcome. 🙂

A second copy of the iPhoto library on a second drive is always good. I once lost my backup drive and the system drive at the same time, because a lightning caused a power surge that killed both my macs system drive and the connected backup drive. I was lucky to have a bootable clone of the system drive as a second backup.

I like this version of the quote you cited: 😁

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again.

I accidentally renamed all the file names on every single one of my 24000 photos in aperture using batch change ( keywords, metadata etc) Can I undo this action or will I need to restore from an earlier time machine/capsule backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.