Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for suggestions for apps, tools or accessories for individuals with physical motor skills or the elderly?

My parents have an ipad and are fairly new Apple converts. My father has been diagnosed with a degenerative dis ease which is impacting his fine motor skills. I'm looking for ideas that will help them both

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 6:22 AM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Sharonjr

Hey there Sharonjr,

It sounds like you are looking for some accessibility options to help with ones motor skills when using an iOS device. Here is some info on some of the options available on the iPad that are already installed:

We make it easy to push all the right buttons.

Innovative iOS technologies make the Multi-Touch screen easily accessible to those with physical or motor challenges who find it hard to tap or use gestures. And features like Siri let you control your iOS device just by talking.

https://www.apple.com/accessibility/ios/#motor-skills

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Feb 2, 2015 9:25 PM in response to Sharonjr

I find a vertical mouse helpful, and currently use an Evoluent Vertical Mouse, although not all the features work with the Mac.

I am currently trying to get the built-in speech-to-text in Mavericks to work. I bought an external mic, which helps with word recognition, but doesn't help with the other bugs. I have heard that the built-in speech-to-text in Yosemite does work, but can't confirm that.

I find most trackpad gestures impossible, but their mileage may vary, and some people find them helpful.

Looking for suggestions for apps, tools or accessories for individuals with physical motor skills or the elderly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.