Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot find purchased ringtone in iTunes

My wife just upgraded her phone from 4s to 5s. When I restored her settings and content to the 5s her ringtone that she had previously purchased a year ago was not transferred. I checked her iTunes (windows) and the iTunes store and it is not listed as a purchase (even tho she did buy it).

How can we restore this ringtone to her phone without having to re-purchase the ringtone? It's only 1.29 but there's a principle involved.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 7:24 AM

22 replies

May 29, 2017 9:45 PM in response to robertfromdumfries

Tonight I purchased my first ringtone from the iTunes Store. I was so paranoid I did a new back up to my iPhone 7 on my Macbook because it didn't instantly appear as a Tone in my iTunes Library. After the back up, it appeared. And after it appeared, I saved it to my Mac's desktop. From there, I saved it to 2 external hard drives. Like you, I couldn't locate it as a Purchase on my iPhone.

Sep 1, 2014 9:06 AM in response to ckuan

Well, ringtone is still not showing up in the iTunes library.

To recap, this is what I have done via iTunes since acquiring the new phone:

1. backed up old phone

2. restored backup to new phone and transferred all apps/data (all except the ringtone was successfully transferred to new phone).

3. transferred purchases from old phone

4. Checked the 'tone's option in iTunes preferences to display the tones folder.

Since I cannot see the ringtone in iTunes, I have not tried syncing the new phone during this sequence.

Could the fact that my wife bought and downloaded her ringtone directly from her phone without going through iTunes be the problem?

Sep 1, 2014 9:28 AM in response to robertfromdumfries

robertfromdumfries wrote:

Could the fact that my wife bought and downloaded her ringtone directly from her phone without going through iTunes be the problem?

Ringtone cannot be bought using computer iTunes, it has to be done directly with the iPhone.

In computer iTunes > Preferences... (Windows: Edit > Preferences...) > under General tab > make sure Tones is checked.

Easier to select a device if you switch Show Sidebar ON in iTunes > View > Show Sidebar.

Note: iPhone & computer iTunes must use the same Apple ID.

Sep 1, 2014 9:47 AM in response to ckuan

1. Ringtone cannot be bought using computer iTunes, it has to be done directly with the iPhone

Did not know that. Given the problem being discussed, I was going to have her do that. Brings me back to square one.

2. In computer iTunes > Preferences... (Windows: Edit > Preferences...) > under General tab > make sure Tones is checked.

Done

3. Easier to select a device if you switch Show Sidebar ON in iTunes > View > Show Sidebar.

her default display.

Grasping at straws now. Ringtone is on her old phone. Am Unable to transfer as a purchase. As pathetic this question may be, could the fact that her old phone is no longer be used as a phone have anything to do with the problem?

This may seem like a lot of effort for a $1.29 ringtone, but I can easily this happening again when we change phones in the future; which is why I am trying to come up with a solution now.

Sep 1, 2014 10:08 AM in response to robertfromdumfries

Is old phone an iPhone?

Is iPhone Apple ID the same as iTunes > Store > View Account?

One can use an old iPhone as an iPod touch (need to be activated), see link below.

Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

Normally, if you buy something directly on the iPhone and when you connect the iPhone to a computer to sync, iTunes will inform you that you have something on the iPhone but not in the iTunes Library, you will be given a choice to Transfer Purchases to the iTunes Library.

Sep 2, 2014 2:40 PM in response to robertfromdumfries

I am having the same problem! I have an iphone 4s with many ringtones--I can see them on my phone, select them, and use them--but only 3 are appearing in my itunes under tones. (And yes, I have regularly backed up this iphone. All the ringtones were purchased through itunes on my 4s. I did not convert or make any on my own.) I recently bought an iphone 5s and cannot figure out how to transfer these ringtones to the new iphone because itunes claims I do not have them! I have even re-synced my old iphone 4s with my computer and no luck--the ringtones still will not appear in itunes under tones! I am beyond frustrated. How can I transfer them off of my iphone 4s to itunes and my iphone 5s? There are several that I use for alarms and seasonal ringtones. I should not have to repurchase them because apple cannot get its act together! $1.29 adds up!

Cannot find purchased ringtone in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.