Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have one contact that I can call but cannot text. A return text states it is an invalid number. How can I fix it?

I have one contact that I can call but cannot text. A return text states it is an invalid number. I have erased and re-entered the contact, changed phone identification and tried resetting the network - none have worked. What else can I try?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 12:09 PM

18 replies

Aug 31, 2014 4:03 PM in response to MamaLutoo

Sounds as if something is wrong with the way her phone is reporting her number. Is her device a pay as you go? Where are you located at? It could depend if you are using dial assist. Are you both on the same carrier? Is this an iPhone that you are texting? If not, then you may need to contact your carrier for help, since SMS is a carrier function.

Aug 31, 2014 5:53 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

She receives texts all the time so I think it is only a problem with my phone. Her phone came from ATT, her carrier, as mine did and they are my carrier, also. We live in Texas, I went to the ATT store today and they tried to solve my problem but could not so told me to call Apple. I did and the steps I stated in my original question are the steps they told me to take.

Aug 31, 2014 7:32 PM in response to MamaLutoo

What kind of phone is this person using? If this is an iPhone, are you logged into iMessage. If this is not an iMessage, then I suggest you both contact AT&T. SMS which is what is used between non-iPhone devices or between an iPhone and non-iPhone device are a carrier function. There is no setting in iOS or on the iPhone that deals with SMS. If you are able to send iMessage and/or SMS to other people, then AT&T needs to either look into your account to ensure SMS is configured, or they need to look at this other person's phone to see what it is reporting as its number since it is coming back invalid for you.

Aug 31, 2014 8:59 PM in response to MamaLutoo

Can I just ask you something. I'm trying to help figure out if this is an iMessage or SMS problem, and despite my asking twice, you haven't answered what other type of phone the other person is using. It could very well not be your problem, or it could help determine if it is AT&T and you could explain more to them when you visit.

I'm glad I was able to help as I did, I just want to keep your visit to AT&T from frustrating you.

I have one contact that I can call but cannot text. A return text states it is an invalid number. How can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.