Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV won't load or play movies from my MBP library (through both airplay and homesharing), but will from my mac mini. Help!

I have been using my apple TV seamlessly with all my apple products (Mac Mini, iphone, MBP, ipad). Everything worked perfectly until recently (I noticed the issue about 3 weeks ago), when the apple TV won't load and play any movies from my iTunes library located on my MBP. The Library loads, and I can see everything, but as soon as I press play, the spinning load icon appears and doesn't stop. Same when I play movie from itunes directly and send it via airplay. Desktop mirroring no problem.

I have checked, and films are being played perfectly from my other devices, as does airplay and mirroring

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 11:56 AM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Tourneurm

Hello Tourneurm,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

This article might be of use for your issue.

Troubleshooting Home Sharing

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2972

Section 8 seems to be most applicable.

8. Cannot access my library when my computer is asleep

For Apple TV to access your library while the host computer is asleep, "Wake for network access" must be turned on.

Open System Preferences > Energy Saver and select (enable) the "Wake for network access" option.

In addition, the network that the host computer and the Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) is connected to must support Wake on Demand feature. This works by partnering with a service running on your AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule called Bonjour Sleep Proxy.

This article could also be of use.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting playback performance

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3623

Regards,

Jeff D.

Sep 2, 2014 9:53 AM in response to jeffd55

Hello Jeffd55 -

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tired both articles, Both helpful but not solving my issues. My MBP and my AppleTV are both "Wake on Demand" active, and all of my Apple TV set ups are fine, according to the 2nd article you suggested. What's really weird is that i have perfect access to the itunes library that's on my Mac Mini, whatever the def of the film (1080 or 720). I'm really lost on this issue...

Thanks

Mathieu

Apple TV won't load or play movies from my MBP library (through both airplay and homesharing), but will from my mac mini. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.