Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format HDD after installing new HDD?

Without any disk in optical drive; Power-on after install of new HDD, display is yellow. Tried CMD-R, nothing, tried "Option key, nothing. Installed Snow Leopard disk, same results. Only now how do I get the disk out of the drive. I have wireless keyboard and mouse on IMAC.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 2:35 PM

16 replies

Aug 31, 2014 2:40 PM in response to ParkerCOMac

What version of OS X came pre-installed on the computer when it was new. If it was Snow Leopard or earlier you can call AppleCare and order a replacement set of install discs from Apple for a moderate cost or you can order a copy of SL from Apple's website, at:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopardfor $20.00

Also if the machine is a 2009 or later the HD's that Apple used came with integrated temp sensors, most off the shelf HD's don't have that so you need to find a solution or the machine will overheat.

Aug 31, 2014 2:49 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks, the IMAC is 2007, temp sensor is taped to HDD.

1) After installing a new HDD, how do you get to the disk Utility to format the new HDD? Does it matter which OS came with the computer, I am starting from scratch, right?

2) After no luck with command keys to try and get to a utility window, I inserted the Snow Leopard Install disk. Still no Disk utility windows. Now, how do I get the disk DVD out of the drive?

Thanks,

Rich

Aug 31, 2014 2:51 PM in response to ParkerCOMac

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

Aug 31, 2014 3:02 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy thanks,

But, I have a new HDD in the IMAC and wireless keyboard and mouse. I don't believe the IMAC can respond to the wireless devices. Any other ideas?

I installed the WD HDD, the old HDD had a jumper in the small connector of the HDD. I removed from old and installed in new. Have you seen this jumper in any HDD replacements?

Thanks,

Rich

Aug 31, 2014 3:09 PM in response to ParkerCOMac

if you have a mac OS installation flash drive (USB memory stick) you could do it that way.

start up with the option key pressed then select the flash drive as the source for the set up - it then does the rest.

if you don't have one, get another mac user to make one on their mac - mavericks has an app for it somewhere. takes a while to write it (some hours) and you need a minimum of 8GB on the stick.

worked for me when i put a new SSD into my 17" MBP, no hassles - the machine had been running snow leopard 10.6 when and i put mavericks 10.9.4 on and restored everything from a Time Machine external HD. I was very pleased at how easy it was.

Sep 1, 2014 5:44 AM in response to rack0 tack0

rack0 tack0 thanks,

the links worked. I was able to get the dvd out. At one point I thought the OS reload was working. Got to the disk select window but no disk image was present in selection window. Now back to drawing board.

Does anyone have a set of steps that outline how to format and load a new OS after a new HDD has been installed in a IMAC?

rich

How do I format HDD after installing new HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.