Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MP500 no longer scanning after OS X Mavericks upgrade

I'm no longer able to scan with my Canon MP500 device using ImageCapture. I'm in the midst of a big scan job so this is rather frustrating.

When I open ImageCapture all I see is a blank window as shown here. No device appears. The printing features are working fine though. Looking at other posts, I have not found a solution that works for me.

User uploaded file

I've also checked the System Preferences pane & the device does show up there, but that's all.

I've also checked Canon's site for updates & it says none is required for OS X 10.9.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Canon Pixma MP500

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 7:21 PM

To scan with Image Capture you need an ICA driver. Canon no longer provides an ICA driver for this model to Apple. They have also ceased supplying a printer driver, as shown in the Apple KB article.

You may be able to get the MP500 to work by installing the TWAINBridge plugin from 10.8 into 10.9. This site provides an installer to copy the 10.8 TWAINBridge plugin into 10.9. Ensure that you quit from Image Capture before running this installer.

Note that you will also need to install the MP500 Scanner (TWAIN) driver if you have not already installed it. This download is for 10.7 so the digital signature will stop it from opening on 10.9. Therefore you will need to right-click on the installer and select Open to get past Gatekeeper.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2014 7:21 PM in response to designergreg

To scan with Image Capture you need an ICA driver. Canon no longer provides an ICA driver for this model to Apple. They have also ceased supplying a printer driver, as shown in the Apple KB article.

You may be able to get the MP500 to work by installing the TWAINBridge plugin from 10.8 into 10.9. This site provides an installer to copy the 10.8 TWAINBridge plugin into 10.9. Ensure that you quit from Image Capture before running this installer.

Note that you will also need to install the MP500 Scanner (TWAIN) driver if you have not already installed it. This download is for 10.7 so the digital signature will stop it from opening on 10.9. Therefore you will need to right-click on the installer and select Open to get past Gatekeeper.

Canon MP500 no longer scanning after OS X Mavericks upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.