You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I type the math symbol SQUARED

How do I type the math symbol SQUARED in Mavericks

It does not exist in the keyboard viewer

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 10,1-3.06 GHz Intl Core 2-12GB RAM

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 9:48 PM

13 replies

Aug 31, 2014 10:39 PM in response to sberman

How the heck did you know to search for SUPER in the character viewer? It doesn't appear in any of the categories? It's completely HIDDEN unless you know ti search for SUPER. Boy, is that a dumb way to program a key viewer.

Thanks, sbermon. I tried selecting a number 2 that I had typed and hitting combinations of Command+Control++ and - with no results except my screen ZOOMED in, and I couldn't figure out how the **** to get it back unl;ess I restarted. 🙂

Aug 31, 2014 10:47 PM in response to blackxacto

Glad that helped! How did I know to search for "Super"? Well, in the past when I was looking for unusual fractions (e.g., ⅖, I started by looking at the one-half fraction, seeing that its title starts with "vulgar", and used "vulgar" to find what I was looking for. So "Super" came to mind.

Frankly, I still don't know how to find either ⅖ or ² other than by search. I couldn't tell you what category on the left of the character viewer contains either.

Aug 31, 2014 11:05 PM in response to Kingoftypos

I just played around with the character viewer. Instead of typing in "super" just type in the number "2" and the ² will appear, just like ³ for cube and so on.

I don't know if you knew this, but if you type out 1/2 in some apps it'll change it to ½. In order for me to do it here, I had to type in the word "half" into the Character viewer. Though it's a per app feature, like MS Office 2011 has it.

KOT

Aug 31, 2014 11:13 PM in response to blackxacto

blackxacto wrote:

What do you mean Control and Scroll? If I hit Control+Scroll all I get are "Services,etc."

Oh my fault. Maybe you did an "alt+control+(plus sign)" to zoom in, alternatively "alt+control+(minus sign)" zooms out.

Check this video out. http://youtu.be/xgxIv2XqhPg

When he brings up the "Zoom" tab he'll put out the keyboard shortcut section. I personally do not have that checked, but rather what is check right underneath it. Where I would click the control button and scroll using my trackpad to zoom in and out.

KOT

Sep 1, 2014 3:47 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Superscript 2. Only works in fonts that support superscripts and subscripts or if you are using special software for creating mathematical formulae for printing.

A superscript 2 can be made with any word processor like Pages or Text Edit which supports baseline > superscript type styling regardless of the font. It's not the Unicode character but this method is still extremely common.

Also most apps will normally substitute a font that does have Unicode superscripts if you happen to be using one that does not.

How do I type the math symbol SQUARED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.