Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insert arrow symbol with keyboard

Hi,

I just started using Pages, and I'm looking for a way to type an arrow symbol without using my mouse. I know I can find all the icons I would want in 'Special Characters', but using your mouse isn't efficient. I read somewhere I can add an autocorrect in preferences, languages and text, but when I try to add the autocorrect (from --> to →, similar to the autocorrection in Microsoft Word) it wont do this in Pages. The other autocorrections do work, but this one won't. The arrow symbol is a copy from the symbol Pages let's you insert in the special characters window.

So I'm wondering, what am I doing wrong that my --> won't turn into → in Pages, while the other autocorrections do work.

Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 8:26 AM

Here are the solutions that I use in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. Both left and right arrows are visible in this screen capture. The right/left arrow symbol is directly from the Special Characters, Arrow category, which are double-clicked to place them in the With column. In Pages v5.2.2, the Edit > Substitutions > Text Replacement menu item is selected.

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2014 8:26 AM in response to floorram

Here are the solutions that I use in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. Both left and right arrows are visible in this screen capture. The right/left arrow symbol is directly from the Special Characters, Arrow category, which are double-clicked to place them in the With column. In Pages v5.2.2, the Edit > Substitutions > Text Replacement menu item is selected.

User uploaded file

Sep 1, 2014 8:32 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thank you for your respons!

I followed your steps but still it won't work in pages.

I don't know for sure if you mean a space after --> in Pages (won't work) or in Text. If I put a space after --> in the Text menu, it says I can't put a space in the original text..

Should the autocorrect work in my browser (chrome)? Because it wont do that either at the moment. (it does work in Safari?)

Insert arrow symbol with keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.