Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting your Ex: tools to stop?

Problem:

cannot resist the temptation to text my ex. Recent breakup, would rather block myself from texting them.

Aggravating circumstances:

Deleting a contact from all devices and iCloud doesn't mean the number is inaccessible. Start typing theirs (area code first) and Messages

will autocomplete that number you thought you deleted.

The myriad "don't text your ex" apps out there are for SMS messages. They won't prevent you from sending iMessages/Messages.

Hopefully among the smarta$$ed replies and banal bits of advice, someone will have actionable

information.

thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 12:13 PM

Haha I know what you mean. What helped me was changing his name in my contacts. At first it was something rude but then I just changed it to his first initial, and his full middle name. It kinda helped. Especially if he texted me at first I didn't know who it was. And deleting his number doesn't work cuz then u figure out who it is and you feel worse. But delete them everywhere else, facebook, Instagram, etc. the less you see the less it hurts. Believe me I know. I've been thru this circle with my ex 3 times. And once a year he messages me! Still! It's annoying. maybe next time instead of asking on apple support, ask your family. I know mine dealt with these issues back in the day when there was no texting!

Like I said, out of sight, out of mind. And there are better ones out there. I'm still looking...

Hope this helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2014 12:13 PM in response to southernrover912

Haha I know what you mean. What helped me was changing his name in my contacts. At first it was something rude but then I just changed it to his first initial, and his full middle name. It kinda helped. Especially if he texted me at first I didn't know who it was. And deleting his number doesn't work cuz then u figure out who it is and you feel worse. But delete them everywhere else, facebook, Instagram, etc. the less you see the less it hurts. Believe me I know. I've been thru this circle with my ex 3 times. And once a year he messages me! Still! It's annoying. maybe next time instead of asking on apple support, ask your family. I know mine dealt with these issues back in the day when there was no texting!

Like I said, out of sight, out of mind. And there are better ones out there. I'm still looking...

Hope this helps!

Sep 1, 2014 2:14 PM in response to southernrover912

There is no automated way to prevent yourself from texting someone. You can remove someone from autocomplete after they've been deleted from your contacts, though. When you start typing their number, a little blue "i" in a circle will appear a the end of the suggestion Tap that, then tap "Remove from Recents".

Kylie's is good advice. I would add (and please don't think this is intended to be snarky), try to avoid drinking. It lowers your inhibitions and makes you more likely to act on those not so healthy impulses to do things like texting an ex and telling them how we really feel. I speak from some experience here. Find a friend (or friends) who you know you can text whenever you feel like texting your ex. Start a Twitter account (as anonymous as possible) and send all the texts you would have sent to him, to it. Sometimes you just have to put it out there in the world. And, take up some form of vigorous physical exercise. It's hard to text while you're exercising. Exercising has been shown to alleviate depression. It also generally makes you feel better about yourself, something most of us need after a break up.

Best of luck.

Texting your Ex: tools to stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.