Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI Password is incorrect: Error Message -3900

I have a two second generation Apple TV's.

One recently disconnected itself from the WIFI and whenever I try to reconnect it I get the following message:-

"There was a problem connecting to the internet. The WIFI password entered is not correct. Try Again. (-3900)"

But it has not given me the option to enter a password. It goes straight to the message.

I have reset and restored the Apple TV and deleted it from the list of devices previously connected to my BT Home Hub. On trying to connect it to the WIFI it goes straight to the error message when I select my network without giving me the chance to enter the password.

The only way I have found to get it connected is to remove the security on my WIFI. As soon as I reinstate this the connection drops again.

The other Apple TV is still connected and working fine.

I've tried searching for the error code online without success.

Any suggestions or is it a case of taking it into an Apple store and getting it checked out?

Many Thanks.

Dave

AppleTV 2

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 4:49 PM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2014 7:01 AM in response to Thruss

Hi there Thruss,

It sounds like you have tried few things already, but there may be some additional steps we can take. If you haven't restored the device by plugging it into iTunes, you may want to try that. Take a look at the section "If your Apple TV still does not respond..."

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367

If the issues persist, then you may want to verify the security settings on your wireless router. The article below has more information.

iOS and OS X: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199

-Griff W.

Sep 8, 2014 1:22 PM in response to griff w

I have absolutely same problem simultaneously with 2 Apple TV devices

Suddenly they stopped connecting to the wifi (while connecting to the ethernet OK). I have managed to restore and update software, both via ethernet while connected to TV and also via itunes as suggested above.

However both devices when attempting connection to the wifi respond that password is incorrect (~3900). There is no suggestion to re-enter the password. I tried to connect to other networks available - in this case devices request password alright, but they respond with different error - 100, to the wrong password in this case. I have restarted router as well, but it doesnt help. Router settings conform to the suggestions above (and they worked fine for last 2 years, and it was not re-configured).

Please describe what error 3900 exactly means and how does it happen that old password remains after the complete systme restore?

Also why the system doesnt suggest to reenter the password?

May 3, 2016 7:22 PM in response to griff w

I'm desperately necro'ing this thread because it is happening to me and I can't seem to figure it out. No information exists on error message -3900, and it just continually skips the password portion, just goes directly to the error message. Need some help. I've done all the resets (can't restore since I can't connect physically), for both Apple TV, modem, router, etc... Still nothing. Everything else I have is connected to this network and I haven't had a problem.

WIFI Password is incorrect: Error Message -3900

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.