Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning wheel of death when connecting ethernet cable.

My G5 running OSX 10.4 has stopped working whenever I try to load the internet. Both in firefox and safari.

I open the app, then the window appears, but before the page loads i get the spinning wheel of death. Then after giving it 5 mins, I go to force quit and that doesn't even work, like it doesn't even come up at all.
So I have to restart by holding the power button down...
I have noticed that it boots up funny and can get the spinning wheel even if the ethernet is plugged in and I am not trying to access the web, if i take it out it works fine and boots fine, barr no internet.
I have tried the watch shaped battery inside, no luck.
The Ethernet cable and router are all workign fine.

Any ideas?

quad 2.5 G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 5:06 AM

4 replies

Sep 2, 2014 10:01 AM in response to harristablist

Hi,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

Is that Interface dragged to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON?

Then... Try putting these numbers in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers, for the Interface you connect with...

Then Apply.

Or...

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

Click on the top line we want, Shift plus click on the bottom line we want, CMD+c to copy, then paste the text in a reply with CMD+v

A few dozen lines should be about right, hundreds or thousands won't likely be readable.

Sep 4, 2014 4:08 AM in response to BDAqua

I will give this a go tonight and let you know the outcome...

I had a feeling it maybe the machine is soo old that the internet signal may have changed and the computer and web were not understanding each other. As everything else seems to be working as it should.
I don't know how to explain it better, I thought maybe a different binary code language or something...

Alas, I tried downloading tenfourfox and it has the same effect.

I noticed if I open safari and when the window pops up I search google (it wont load as the cable isn't plugged in), If I then stick the ethernet in and refresh the google results page shows up but it then crashes before you can select anything.

Its soo frustrating.

Sep 4, 2014 10:18 AM in response to harristablist

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

Click on the top line we want, Shift plus click on the bottom line we want, CMD+c to copy, then paste the text in a reply with CMD+v

A few dozen lines should be about right, hundreds or thousands won't likely be readable.

And maybe look for the Safari crash logs.

Safari 4 Public beta works on my Quad G5 in 10.4.11, & v 4.0.2 in 10.5.8... not very well, but doesn't crash, TFF G5 v17.04 & SeaMonkey v2.0.14 work far better.

Spinning wheel of death when connecting ethernet cable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.