Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How should I set-up a Time Capsule with a Macbook Pro and a Desktop PC?

How should I set-up a Time Capsule with a Macbook Pro and a Desktop PC? I would like to access a large music collection of 800GB in my living room via wi-fi with my Apple TV. Is this possible and is this the right device to use? Will I have to put a copy of the music on the TC, as opposed to connecting a USB Ext. HD which will probably be slow? Also, will I have to continue using my USB Ext. Hard Drives to back up the PC as I have read that

partitioning the TC is not possible. Thank you!

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1.2, PC running Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 6:35 AM

Is this possible and is this the right device to use?

The TC is dumb.. stupid .. brainless router with an even dumber hard disk inside it .. there are no media extensions.. it is a file store.. that is it.. end of story.

If you need to access iTunes from ATV. a Mac must be running... the Mac can load the files from the TC.. to the Mac.. Back to the TC.. then stream to the ATV.. since over wireless this is equal to three hop connection. it will be super slow.

If you have a Mac (or PC) with a large drive inside or connected by fastest port you have.. it will stream.. to TC.. TC to ATV. .this is double hop.. still bad but better than triple hop. The best is to use a computer plugged in by ethernet.. do not use wireless for two of the clients.

Don't use the TC for your files at all.. it is a router with a glorified hard disk in it. There is no backup.. all you 800GB of files can disappear in a blink.. and the TC has no RAID, no backup and TM cannot backup a TC.. and where are you going to backup to.

It simply not useful as network resource.

Also, will I have to continue using my USB Ext. Hard Drives to back up the PC as I have read that

partitioning the TC is not possible.

You can backup the PC to the TC if you want.. I think a USB external drive is faster and more reliable but TC can work. You are right.. no partitions.. you can plug a USB into the TC for backups .. and make it really slow.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2014 6:35 AM in response to bmo17

Is this possible and is this the right device to use?

The TC is dumb.. stupid .. brainless router with an even dumber hard disk inside it .. there are no media extensions.. it is a file store.. that is it.. end of story.

If you need to access iTunes from ATV. a Mac must be running... the Mac can load the files from the TC.. to the Mac.. Back to the TC.. then stream to the ATV.. since over wireless this is equal to three hop connection. it will be super slow.

If you have a Mac (or PC) with a large drive inside or connected by fastest port you have.. it will stream.. to TC.. TC to ATV. .this is double hop.. still bad but better than triple hop. The best is to use a computer plugged in by ethernet.. do not use wireless for two of the clients.

Don't use the TC for your files at all.. it is a router with a glorified hard disk in it. There is no backup.. all you 800GB of files can disappear in a blink.. and the TC has no RAID, no backup and TM cannot backup a TC.. and where are you going to backup to.

It simply not useful as network resource.

Also, will I have to continue using my USB Ext. Hard Drives to back up the PC as I have read that

partitioning the TC is not possible.

You can backup the PC to the TC if you want.. I think a USB external drive is faster and more reliable but TC can work. You are right.. no partitions.. you can plug a USB into the TC for backups .. and make it really slow.

Sep 3, 2014 12:07 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague, let me start by saying thank you for the above response! I only purchased the TC, because I was told it was a great router that also had storage, and I have been using more and more Apple products over the past few years. However, if that is not the case, I am open to using any products, not just apple.

As I mentioned above, I have a PC using Vista(which I can upgrade), a Macbook Pro, a Seagate Free Agent 1TB Ext HD, a Western Digital My Book Essential

2TB Ext HD, Apple TV, iPad & iPhone. My goals: A) Have a fast router B) Have a solid auto back-up system C) Stream my music and video collection to my TV & Stereo in living room and my stereo at my drum set D) Have a cloud at some point as well. With this in mind, how would you go about setting this up? Additional facts: I am open to using only Macs, but like to have a PC at home for versatility. I have had trouble with iTunes handing my entire collection of music. I cannot fit all my music on either of my machines, so I have a copy on each of the Ext HD's. If I can return or exchange the TC, I am pretty much open to whatever is the best way to go. Like getting an Airport or other router and then using a cloud, unless you think I'd be better off with a media server.

Thanks for your help! Bryan

Sep 3, 2014 2:38 PM in response to bmo17

you think I'd be better off with a media server.

Actually yes.. media server is exactly the right way to go for your situation.

If you are going for the Apple solution then the PC is not highly useful.. Let me leave it aside .. you can play games on it etc.. but it is really better left out of the equation.. and you can just keep one of the external drives plugged into it for your backup. You can use the PC if you step out of the Apple media setup and use it as a media centre if you want. But not using iTunes. At least for videos.. music on itunes is ok.

A Mac Mini is a great media server. You don't have to buy a brand new one.. In fact they are way overdue for an update so not good value, but you can pick up a 2012 mini for $400-500. They have 4 USB3 ports which is really why this model is better. The 2011 is not that different and a bit cheaper on second hand market. But they have USB2 which is too slow. (FW800 is good but too old and thunderbolt is still far too expensive). Still there are ways and means.. you can buy adapters but they are usually more expensive than simply paying the bit extra for the 2012 model.. try and get one with 8GB RAM.. the standard 500GB hard disk is ok. (I always stick an SSD in them for boot drive but that is to run it as a computer not media). It is almost completely silent. You can plug your drives into it, load it up with your media and share that media to the network. The mini sits with the TV (hdmi output direct to the TV input) and Stereo. It can network connect by wireless to the TC or by ethernet.. the later of course is always going to be the better choice.

See Understanding Home Sharing

iTunes: How to share music and video

I am not entirely sure what you mean by cloud access. Anywhere in your network you can still connect to the main router by wireless or ethernet, and use cloud services.

You can use an airport express or Apple TV next to your drum kit for streaming to that location. You can use airplay via the ipad to control that. (That is getting beyond the level of my experience I warn you .. but it is sure possible to do.) The less wireless you use the better.. but as long as major items are connected by ethernet then streaming runs pretty well.

There are other cheaper ways to do it. But you need to step out of the Apple methods. Go for a WD live TV, which is amazing little box. It can pick up your video collection on the vista PC and play it to the TV. You can plug a USB drive directly into the WD and have it run its own library without streaming at all, but it can share that USB to the network so you can load videos to it.. but you don't use itunes to do it. To play itunes audio it is easier to simply use your ipad etc. but an express can also be used if you want to do it neatly by wireless.

The TC itself is fine to keep for TM backup of your Mac and as wireless router. It is not so useful as a file store.. and I would not really use it for that.

This is very much open to discussion and I am sure if you talk to different people they will come up with different methods. The problem with large media collections and new laptops with small SSD has not been addressed by apple due to all the copyright controls in iTunes. A simple NAS running itunes server would be fantastic.. for now the mini with loads of USB drives is the closest we can get to that. But the cost is not bad albeit the integration not as good as the newer media aware NAS.

How should I set-up a Time Capsule with a Macbook Pro and a Desktop PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.