Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Urgent! PowerMac G5 Smells Like It's Burning; Red Warning Light!

I have a paper due today, and the only copies of it are on a PowerMac G5 (Early 2005, 2.0 GHz, OS X 10.4.11) and a USB flash drive that I can't use with any of our Windows laptops.

Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) - Technical Specifications

I was using the PowerMac G5 last night, and I noticed a sudden, sharp burning smell. It smelled like someone had left an iron sitting too long on a shirt. Upon further investigation, it seemed to be coming from the rear fan vents (which were roaring much louder than usual; I believe this is called "hyperdrive"), so I put the Mac in sleep mode and took the side panel and air deflector off to see what was causing it. The smell left pretty quickly, so I couldn't really tell where it came from inside the computer, but I did notice a bright red warning light beside the RAM (behind the front power button; inside the #4 area in this diagram):

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Power_Mac_G5_open_labeled.jpg

I immediately did some digging around on the internet, and found this forum discussion:

g5 noisy fan, red light

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/g5/073-0891.pdf

While it seems that this should fix the light, (A) I couldn't really see the sensor described, even with a flashlight, (B) the Air Reflector Sensor Board sticker thing seems to still be in place on the plastic Air Reflector tab, and (C) I can't see how the sensor's not working would cause the computer to smell like it's burning!

I also skim-read a couple other things and got the impression (from the first link below) that this model has had pretty serious issues with the power supply unit in general. Considering it's practically ten years old, it may be unusual that the computer hasn't had this problem sooner!

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/powermacg5/topic4026.html#d02jul2009

My PowerMac G4 smells like burning plastic -- what the heck is going on!?

RE: SMELLS LIKE BURNING??? STINKS! LITERALLY

Does this seem to be a power supply issue? Is there a way to solve both the red light/fan hyperdrive issue AND the burning smell problem?

If I don't get this fixed in time, I may be able to go to the library tomorrow and get the project off of the USB drive using an iMac... But it will be late. 😟

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 8:56 AM

16 replies

Sep 3, 2014 2:55 PM in response to BDAqua

No, it's not the liquid cooled model...

Here is the information from the link you provided:

Model introduced: 2004

Serial number: G84324WGQPR

Number of lookups done last 30 days: 0

You will be limited to 10 lookups per 30 days.

Nice Name: PowerMac G5 (PCI-X 2)

Machine Model: PowerMac7,3

Name: PowerMac G5 (June 2004)

ModelCode: g5_june_04

Family name: A1047

Model Number: M9455

Group1: PowerMac

Group2: G5

Generation: 2

CPU speed: 2.0GHz

Colour: Aluminium

Production year: 2004

Production week: 32 (August)

Production number: 5660 (within this week)

Model introduced: 2004

Memory - flavour: DDR1-L-400

Memory - number of slots: 8

Memory - largest module: 1GB

Factory: G8 (USA)

Thanks so much for your help, by the way!

Sep 4, 2014 9:12 PM in response to BDAqua

Okay!

I won't have time to look into this further until this weekend, but I'll try what you suggested... While I'm at it, I'll give the G5 a thorough cleaning--the dust is nearly as bad as the computer in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0RAdtNc8io

BTW, could the burning smell just be dust particles getting burnt on some of the warmer components of the computer?

Sep 9, 2014 6:38 PM in response to BDAqua

I/we started to take the computer apart to get to the PSU, but unfortunately we didn't have time to finish. My week is pretty booked, so I will try look at it more next weekend...

However, we did look at the graphics card, motherboard, and some of the fans (which turned quite easily). So far, it looks to be in perfect condition; nothing seems to be amiss. No heat damage or anything like that. I'm guessing it will probably be something with the PSU, but that's mostly because we haven't looked at it yet...

Jan 24, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Jonathan1166

Thank you for your patience!

My Dad and I finally got around to disassembling it this week, and we found that a temperature sensor had come unglued and the PSU was clogged with 10+ years of dust and filth. Other than that, everything was fine! So we carefully cleaned it out and glued the sensor back, and it's working great!

I'm actually rendering a short 1080p video on it right now with FCP 6... Thank you so much for all the help, BDAqua!

-Jonathan

Urgent! PowerMac G5 Smells Like It's Burning; Red Warning Light!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.