Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Mirroring & Data usage

I Have an iphone 5, appletv 3 and iPad 4. I want to watch my itunes movies already downloaded onto my iPad on my appletv. I have a family share plan with att just for my phone. This share plan also comes with a personal hotspot. I have no wifi connection. If I use my personal hotspot to put my appletv on and iPad to allow mirroring will it eat my data quick? If so Is there a better option I have to not use my data? Would it eat my data if I downloaded the movies to my phone and mirrored them to appletv or is it the same usage as hooking up both appletv and iPad to my hotspot? I have read that if they are already downloaded to your device there is hardly any usage at all. I have also asked a similar question in here and have been told it will eat my data. I just want to find the best way to watch my itunes movies on my appletv with the resources I have. That would be an iphone 5 with personal hotspot, an appletv, and an iPad 4. Reason I post this question is because my previous question was answered in very short and unhelpful fashion. will beg grateful for anyone who has a certain answer and good advice. Thanks Apple Comm.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 8:51 AM

3 replies

Sep 2, 2014 10:41 AM in response to DeuceDimeDom

Appletv personal hotspot data usage

You ask if it will take a lot of data and it was answered yes.

If you have no wifi to connect to, then you will using cellular data which will eat up your data.

don't want it to eat data, then get a wifi connection.

iOS: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content

https://www.apple.com/airplay/

Use AirPlay

You can use AirPlay across any apps and content that allow AirPlay. AirPlay will stay on until you turn it off, so you can keep using it across various apps. Here's how to start using AirPlay.

1. Connect your iOS device and Apple TV or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network.
  2. Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access Control Center.
  3. Tap AirPlay.

Sep 2, 2014 10:45 AM in response to DeuceDimeDom

You still have to get the content onto the device. If it is on the phone already, in your iTunes library, then it would be minimal, but if you have to download the movie to the device, then that will use data, and movies use a lot. Since you say you do not have Wi-Fi, I'm guessing that you do not have Internet where you are, except for the phone? If that is the case, you would have data issues. However, if you can use a computer to download content with a separate internet connection, then just connecting the Apple TV to the device would not be as bad.

Airplay Mirroring & Data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.