Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to open .exe files with unarchiver

I've ben having problems with my HP scanner software being able to save the files where I want to and in the format I want, so I uninstalled the HP Utility software and then sought to reinstall it off the web. However Unarchiver can't open the .exe file I have down loaded. Why?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 9:32 AM

4 replies

Sep 2, 2014 10:08 AM in response to EcoIDave

An .exe file from Windows is a program, not a compressed archive (normally). It is possible in Windows to turn a .zip file into a self extracting archive with another utility. It then puts an .exe wrapper around the .zip file. The purpose is so you can send a .zip file to another Windows users and they don't need any kind of utility to unpack it. You just run what looks like a program, and it unpacks the enclosed .zip file. Unnecessary in any version of Windows since XP since .zip support is built in to the OS.

Anyway, it's highly unlikely to be a self extracting .zip file. No matter what you download to "open" the file, it won't work.

unable to open .exe files with unarchiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.