Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect a Mac Mini to a Samsung 24" LED Monitor

I just bought a new 24" Samsung LED monitor for my Mac Mini. After connecting it, the resolution isn't good. When I select "Choose best for your computer" the resolution is good, but the picture is only on half the screen! Now I find out Samsung doesn't have any drivers for Mac. I've pitched the box so I can't return it. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 1:35 PM

17 replies

Sep 2, 2014 2:52 PM in response to DVous

Maybe this will help since you did not provide the monitor's resolution assuming you have a newer Mini

18. What is the maximum resolution available for use with the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter?

The resolution available with the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter is 1920 x 1200. VGA displays that use higher refresh rates (such as 85 Hz) at resolutions of 1600 x 1200 or greater may not generate video properly until you lower the refresh rate.

Sep 3, 2014 4:54 AM in response to DVous

I have the server version of this Mini, which works perfectly with a Panasonic at full 1080p via HDMI. On a DP connection I get full resolutions via a Dell U24 series monitor.

From tech specs for this machine... Mac mini (Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

Graphics and video support

• NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory4
  • Mini DisplayPort with support for up to 2560-by-1600 resolution
  • HDMI port with support for up to 1920-by-1200 resolution
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (included)
  • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
  • Support for extended desktop and video mirroring across both ports

Sep 3, 2014 6:18 AM in response to Loner T

Here's the info on the monitor:

Item #614006
Manufacturer #S24D300HL
diagonal screen size23.6 inches
viewable image size23.6 inches
HD compatibleyes
signal input typeVGA (analog); HDMI (digital)
model nameS24D300HL
screen typeLED
typical response time5 ms
maximum resolution1920 x 1080
native resolution1920 x 1080
TV tunerno
pixel pitch0.272 mm
monitor brightness200 cd/m2
aspect ratio16:9
contrast ratio700:1 (static)
horizontal viewable angle90 degrees
antiglareyes
integrated speakersyes
dimensions16.42 x 22.4 x 7.75
warranty length1-yr limited
brand nameSamsung
manufacturerSamsung
postconsumer recycled content0%
total recycled content0%
monitor colorblack
wall mountableyes

Sep 3, 2014 7:12 AM in response to DVous

DVous wrote:

Here's the info on the monitor:

integrated speakers yes

You also have speakers, so the HDMI connection should allow both Audio and Video. I suggest testing both. After the HDMI connection, look in System Preferences -> Sound -> Output settings to redirect Audio to the internal speakers.

Connect a Mac Mini to a Samsung 24" LED Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.