Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synced all books and collections from iBooks but not shown on my iPad mini

Hi,

This is the first time I have this kind of issue. Normally I have no issue of syncing my files, app, books, or music via iTunes from my MBP. But last night after I syncing my iPad mini with my MBP, I found that the book collections that I have didn't appear on my iPad mini at all.

I have MBP retina 13" late 2013, latest OS Mac and latest iOS for my iPad mini.

I also tried to to contact Apple rep from the number Apple gave me (note: I am in Thailand so they gave me the number to call). The rep that I talked to just informed me that iPad mini does not supported or at least not really compatible with ePub format. iPad is the best compatible with PDF files and suggest me to covert all my books into PDF and re-sync again to see if the collection will appear.

Really? iPad doesn't compatible with ePub? All my life of using iPhone, iPad and Mac, I have never heard of iPad doesn't (really) compat with ePub.

So 2 things I would like to ask/get help:

1) What should I do to have my book collections display on my iPad mini?

2) Is it true that iPad mini doesn't compatible with ePub or to say, it is more compatible with PDF format? (though, I doubt this is true or this is the cause of my issue.)

Thank you in advance for any help.

iPad mini (Retina) Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 12:55 AM

Have the epubs copied over to your iPad, just not into their collections ? If they have then have you got Settings > iBooks > Sync Collection set 'on' on your iPad, and on the General tab in iBooks > Preferences on your Mac's iBooks - those settings don't copy the actual books/epubs between devices/computers, it just means that if a book/epub is on both devices then it should be in the same collection on both, so if they are set 'on' then you should get the collection showing on your iPad and the epubs should go into them.

You shouldn't have to convert your epubs into PDF format, I haven't had any problems copying/reading with epubs that I have in iBooks on my Mac to my iPad.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2014 12:55 AM in response to nawan

Have the epubs copied over to your iPad, just not into their collections ? If they have then have you got Settings > iBooks > Sync Collection set 'on' on your iPad, and on the General tab in iBooks > Preferences on your Mac's iBooks - those settings don't copy the actual books/epubs between devices/computers, it just means that if a book/epub is on both devices then it should be in the same collection on both, so if they are set 'on' then you should get the collection showing on your iPad and the epubs should go into them.

You shouldn't have to convert your epubs into PDF format, I haven't had any problems copying/reading with epubs that I have in iBooks on my Mac to my iPad.

Sep 3, 2014 4:46 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hi King_Penguin,

Thank you for your help. To answer to your questions:

- Yes, all epubs are copied to my iPad > but when I change view from books to collection, there are no collection lists display at all. And that means they are not into their collection as you said.

- For the setting:

> on my iPad, it was set 'on' for sync collection.

> I am pretty sure that on my mac, I also set 'on' on my Mac's iBooks. But I have to get back home after work and check again to be certain.

So what if both my iPad and Mac setting are correct (both are 'on'), then what should I do? Can you help?

Sep 3, 2014 7:10 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hi,

Already checked my Mac and found out that I didn't check the sync menu and that's why it didn't sync with my iPad. 😢 😢😢

This is so embarrassing and I apologised for all the troubles that I have caused you.

However, your advice help me a lot. Otherwise, I would not have a clue where to get help.

Truly sorry.

Regards,

Mar 21, 2015 10:11 AM in response to nawan

I have the same issue. I have carefully categorized my books using iBook on Mac in collections, but the synced copy on my iPad seems to ignore those collections. I checked the two settings (Mac and iPad) and they are both set as suggested by King_Penguin.

Just of the sake of it, I unset both settings, synced, then set them back: but I see no change: collections are not applied.

I then removed the collections I had manually set on the iPad, to get back to a clean start, synced again: no joy: collections are not applied.

Last attempt: I deleted all books from the iPad, synced again. Still no joy: the iBook collections from my Mac do not appear on the iPad, i.e. books stay unclassified.

I this point, I give up.

Apr 3, 2015 8:01 AM in response to nawan

I had this problem. The steps I took to fix it were:

1. Enabling the "sync collections" option in the iPad settings (no clue why this was ever switched off)

2. When I next synced, it prompted me to use a different Apple ID (not the one I use for iBooks). So I used the different one, just to see what would happen. Still no Collections organised properly.

3. I stopped syncing iBooks so everything was deleted. Then I restarted which copied everything back again. Still no Collections organised properly.

4. I then went back to the iPad settings and changed the iBooks Apple ID back to the correct one that I use for iTunes/iBooks.

Finally it worked. So all I can suggest is changing your Apple ID to another one, then back to the correct one. This appears to have given it the nudge it needed.

Synced all books and collections from iBooks but not shown on my iPad mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.