Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently changed log-in password having forgotten previous - cannot unlock local items keychain - no password.

Have tried to reset default keychain - 'specified keychain could not be found' so not possible. Any help please? System OSX 10.9.4 using Mavericks.

Apple TV, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 5:12 AM

12 replies

Sep 3, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Matt Clifton

Thanks Matt - have found at ~/Library/Keychains : System.keychain (the other three folders don't open - System.keychain-orig , apsd.keychain , applepushedserviced.keychain) but the one I need is Local Items keychain which I can't unlock via Keychain Access but I can unlock System keychain bizarrely.

Do I then delete the System.keychain available ?

Paul

Sep 3, 2014 10:01 AM in response to paulfrom34

No, don't do that. Try this:

In Keychain Access, use the File menu to create a new keychain - call it whatever you want (it will probably default to your name), and secure it with your Mac login password (you CAN use a different password, but you just have to remember it). Then right-click (or ctrl-click) it in the top-left corner of the window, and click "Make XXX keychain default". This keychain will now be used to store your various logins.

Matt

Sep 4, 2014 5:05 AM in response to paulfrom34

Most now works although Mail is still jammed. Getting lots of requests for keychain access password either for my name or local or login : mostly - mail/safari/com.appleinternetacct/calendar.agent/address.book and principally Mail requests.

How does one prevent the incessant demands for keychain access? It never happened previously except rarely ...

The keychain issue appears to have affected the Mail service and the computer has slowed with plenty of spinning disc time. Have run virus scan (Sophos) and verified disc no issues.

Thanks

Paul

Recently changed log-in password having forgotten previous - cannot unlock local items keychain - no password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.