Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Or Parallels ?

I plan to switch to Mac in the near future but have Windows Programs like Quicken Deluxe 2014 that I would like to run on a Mac. I understand that I have to install Windows on a Mac using Boot-camp in order to run any Windows applications. I am unclear if this is also the case with Parallels, which I would have to purchase. I have Windows 8 on a disk so I don't have to purchase it again, so I could use either Boot-camp or Parallels. My Question is, does Parallels also require a full Windows installation and if so why should I buy Parallels when Boot-camp is free?

iMac, Windows 8

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 8:31 AM

parallels is a virtual machine it's easier to work with and faster to switch between osx and windows which you can even run in a window if you wish or on a second monitor there are free alternative to parallels such as virtualbox from oracle

installing windows in a virtual machine is easier for most people

pros for bootcamp

if one wish to play games one needs bootcamp virtual machines does not give access to fancy 3d video card features

cons for bootcamp

switching require a full reboot to change between osx and windows

and as the other posts in this forum would suggest some people have problems getting it installed

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2014 8:31 AM in response to czvet

parallels is a virtual machine it's easier to work with and faster to switch between osx and windows which you can even run in a window if you wish or on a second monitor there are free alternative to parallels such as virtualbox from oracle

installing windows in a virtual machine is easier for most people

pros for bootcamp

if one wish to play games one needs bootcamp virtual machines does not give access to fancy 3d video card features

cons for bootcamp

switching require a full reboot to change between osx and windows

and as the other posts in this forum would suggest some people have problems getting it installed

Sep 3, 2014 9:14 AM in response to czvet

czvet wrote:

I plan to switch to Mac in the near future but have Windows Programs like Quicken Deluxe 2014 that I would like to run on a Mac. I understand that I have to install Windows on a Mac using Boot-camp in order to run any Windows applications. I am unclear if this is also the case with Parallels, which I would have to purchase. I have Windows 8 on a disk so I don't have to purchase it again, so I could use either Boot-camp or Parallels. My Question is, does Parallels also require a full Windows installation and if so why should I buy Parallels when Boot-camp is free?

Because they are different things?

Don't buy Parallels, VirtualBox is equally good, and is free.

A full copy of Windows is required for either of them.

Sep 13, 2014 4:36 PM in response to czvet

Consider using Quicken 2007 for Mac (Intel) which is available for $15 by download from Intuit. You would have to export QIFs of each account from your Windows data version and import then into the Mac version one time only. They you would be up and running on a Mac with no cost for purchasing Windows, and no cost for a VM.

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-2007-osx-lion.jsp

Sep 13, 2014 5:05 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

I cannot understand Intuit's reasoning. Many people are switching to MAC and for good reasons and I cannot believe Intuit wouldn't enjoy the revenue from them. . I can't wait to get rid of Microsoft. I tried iBank on the iPad and hated it. The thing is I have Quicken Files going back over ten years. I keep meticulous records and can tell you how much I spent at an interstate rest stop vending machine in Georgia in 2004. Thanks again for your help.

Sep 13, 2014 5:26 PM in response to czvet

czvet wrote:

... and can tell you how much I spent at an interstate rest stop vending machine in Georgia in 2004..."

Thank goodness, I found someone more obsessive about home finance tracking than ME! hahahaha 😁

I purchased my original Apple ][+ in 1979 primarily to use the program Home Accountant (and then later Time is Money)! Recently my ex-wife needed a compilation of expenses from our mid 1980's house remodel (to help establish her basis) and I used Virtual ][ (a Mac Apple ][ emulator) with digitized versions of the Time is Money floppies to convert the data to reports that I then imported into Microsoft Excel and was able to properly sort and print.

Boot Camp Or Parallels ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.