Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX sometimes places 31 character limit on file names. How can I get this error to stop?

This error notice doesn't make sense, since many of my file names exceed 31 char. This error message pops up when saving documents, esp. web pages. As a consequence, OSX will refuse to let me save the file, until I shorten the name and so remove informative identifying features of the file name. But most of the time, OSX is perfectly happy to save files with names longer than 31 char. How can I get this error notice and block to turn off?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 9:48 AM

11 replies

Sep 5, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, I've been unsuccessful in trying to duplicate the problem. It is one that has cropped up dozens and dozens of times over a number of years. But next time it happens, I'll take note of the particular conditions under which it occurs. I thought it occurred when I tried to save a web page, or print/save a web page, as a pdf file. But I tried both those things, with a name that was longer than 31 characters, and it didn't happen. If it happens again during the next couple of days, I'll send you another reply with a screen shot.

Sep 8, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Kikage

I am also getting the same problem. Today is the first time I experienced it since using my MacBook Pro for the last 2 years. I get the same error message as posted by Kikage when trying to save an email from Mail onto the internal HD. The strange thing is that the same HD location contains several files with names longer than 31 characters that I had saved myself prior to commencement of this problem. Any ideas how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 3, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Richard Kapit

This is happening to me with OmniOutliner when I try to save something to the OmniPresence folder. The strange thing is that I am able to save the document as Untitled if I save it at the root Document folder. I am also able to save files from other programs in the OmniPresence folder. I have been trying to chase this bug with the OmniGroup for months and they have no answer for me. They do not think it is anything on their side and in fact, they pointed me to this thread to show that other people are having the same issue with other apps.

OSX sometimes places 31 character limit on file names. How can I get this error to stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.