Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook hangs on blue screen with menu icons, won't start

I am having an issue with my MacBook (2010), which won't fully start up anymore. It gets past the initial grey loading screen and starts loading a few of the menu bar icons in the upper right corner. Then it stops with only a few of those icons loaded, a blue screen, and no desktop icons.

The MacBook is running 10.6 (if I remember correctly, it's 10.6.8, but I'm not 100% sure).

Things I've tried already:

- Safe boot (doesn't work, no indication that it recognizes me trying to start it in safe mode)

- Resetting the PRAM

- Leaving it on for a long time to see if it will eventually start

I lost the OS disc a while ago, so unfortunately I can't boot from that. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 3:08 PM

6 replies

Sep 3, 2014 7:44 PM in response to verersatz

You might want to consider running the combo updater over your install to refresh your files.

Combo updater: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update v.1.1 - 1.09 GB

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

MORE INFO ON WHY RUNNING COMBO FIXES ISSUES

Apple updates available from the Software Update application are incremental updates. Delta updates are also incremental updates and are available from Apple Downloads (software updates are generally smaller than delta updates). The Combo updates contain all incremental updates and will update files that could have become corrupted.

Combo updaters will install on the same version as they're applying--no need to roll back or do a clean install. So if you think you've got a borked 10.6.8 install from a regular update, just run the 10.6.8 Combo Updater on that system.

"Delta" updaters can only take you from one version to the next. For example: 10.6.7 to 10.6.8. If somehow the 10.6.8 is missing something it should have, and that something isn't changed between 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 it will still be stale after the delta update.

Sep 3, 2014 10:01 PM in response to Loner T

For single user mode and verbose mode, I get the white text on black screen followed by the same result of the blue screen with icons.

I do have another Mac...unfortunately it has Thunderbolt ports but not Firewire. The "bad" one has Firewire but no Thunderbolt. I know there's an adapter but I'd like to avoid spending money on it if at all possible, so any other suggestions would be awesome.

Sep 4, 2014 3:21 AM in response to verersatz

1. If you are willing to open it take out the disk, and put it in an external enclosure, that is an option. It has a SATA drive based on MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications.

2. This can be upgraded to Internet Recovery - Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery so a Netboot is possible with Option-N (Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs).

3. The adapter route may be worth pursuing. If you have an Apple store close by, a Genius appointment may let you have access to one.

Macbook hangs on blue screen with menu icons, won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.