Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daisy chain Dell u2713h

I have two Dell u2713h monitors on my desk at work.

I also have a Macbook Pro10,1 (early 2013) with a grand total of two TB ports

I need to use one of the two TB ports for a TB-to-ethernet adapter because there are well in excess of 30 wireless access points visible to my computer from my desk which means using our company's wifi is a no-go, I'm literally getting disconnected 1-2 times per minute.

So, I can only use one of my TB ports for my two monitors. Both monitors are DP 1.2 compatible and have 1.2 support activated.

I'm running OS X 10.9.4

As far as I know it should be possible to daisy chain the monitors (I am, of course, running my MBP in clamshell mode with external mouse and keyboard) but when I connect them as follows:

MBP mini-DP out -> Monitor #1 DP in -> Monitor #1 DP out -> Monitor #2 mini-DP in

I just get mirroring.

So, what am I doing wrong? This should work, right?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 10,1 early 2013

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 7:41 PM

I tried to do the same thing. Unfortunately, neither OS X 10.9.x nor 10.10 (Public Beta) offers full support of the MST (Multi-Stream Transport) feature set as outlined by the DisplayPort 1.2 specification.

However, Windows 7 and 8 both support it (tried it on both). I'm able to daisy chain my U2713H with another monitor via DisplayPort on my Late 2013 Retina Macbook inside of Windows. They show up as separate monitors (extended desktop) without any issue.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2014 7:41 PM in response to mluddalize

I tried to do the same thing. Unfortunately, neither OS X 10.9.x nor 10.10 (Public Beta) offers full support of the MST (Multi-Stream Transport) feature set as outlined by the DisplayPort 1.2 specification.

However, Windows 7 and 8 both support it (tried it on both). I'm able to daisy chain my U2713H with another monitor via DisplayPort on my Late 2013 Retina Macbook inside of Windows. They show up as separate monitors (extended desktop) without any issue.

Nov 5, 2014 9:06 PM in response to andars

Hi, I have read through several threads and understand that daisy-chaining the dell U2713H on a macbook pro is only possible when using windows. I am not a competent mac-user myself, but am asking on behalf of a friend. When everyone says "it only works through windows" do you mean if you are running parallels on your MBP? Or do you need to have purely windows installed to get the daisy-chain to work? I know my friend uses parallels on his MBP so if it's possible to get a successful daisy chain through that, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks

Nov 5, 2014 9:18 PM in response to tortooga40

Just a thought, but if a particular Mac has two TB ports (like newer MBPs), then why not connect one monitor directly to each individual TB port. And then, connect other peripherals to the monitor's second TB port. That way you are not daisy chaining the monitors at all. In the OP's scenario, the TB to GB Ethernet adapter would connect to the monitor's second TB port.

Nov 5, 2014 10:29 PM in response to FishingAddict

He does in fact have two TB ports. He may be satisfied with two external monitors, but if he theoretically wanted to add a 3rd/4th, would it be possible to run a daisy chain through one or two of the TB ports? These monitors have 2560x1440 resolution. I don't really understand if a single MBP is capable of running 4 external monitors of such high resolution... or how all that works with regards to GPU requirements. Thanks.

Mar 13, 2015 5:26 PM in response to mluddalize

I cannot get my out of the box one new Dell monitor, model u2415 to work with my MacBook Pro (MBP). I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011). I have no other external monitor.

After working with Dell Tech Support, they tell me it is "Plug-n-Play" and incompatible with Apple. However, I find on YouTube and here, people using this new Dell monitor.

I told Dell, I cannot get any Menu or what have you, to come up on the Dell. Only the "Inputs" selection. I think that's where the problem is.

Frankly, after two nights and four hours or so (also with Apple). I'm about to give up.

Am I missing something? Ideas???

Dec 16, 2015 3:47 AM in response to cyrildo

Unfortunately still no solution for this problem. I'm trying to keep track of all posts that discuss this issue here:

MST Support but no support for daisy chaining?

I hope apple will enable daisy chaining now they have good MST support build-in. They do support daisy chaining with their own Thunderbolt display, but I hope they will also support it with normal displays (at 1/3 rd of the price of a thunderbolt display, but yes, without the thunderbolt hub build in).

Daisy chain Dell u2713h

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.