Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Express Network Connectivity Issue #16037

Yep. Connectivity problem number 16037. (may have left off a zero)😝

Anyone would think Australians invented WiFi the way it fails so often.

... Oh wait. They did. (CSIRO) 😊😟

This has me stumped and has occurred for some time.

I leave the Airport express switched off most of the time now, which creates its own set of issues for devices relying on it for connectivity.

Airport express switched on = WiFi dropouts and all round calamity (a word not used enough IMO)

So I thought I should post some examples of what is happening through AirPort Utility to illustrate my conundrum (another word not used enough)

Yes I have read the instructions over and over, trawled the support pages for months in search of answers.

Network issue with airport express

Airport Express intermittent internet connection

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation): Guide to ports and connectors

Yes I have reset the unit. Many times.

Have set it up to have security and without. (= same result anyway)

I have reconfigured my router.

I have renamed the network and reconfigured everything from scratch.

Yes it has had firmware updated

Yes there is full bars on the WiFi thing-a-mee

Still get the same problem over and over.

WiFi disabled router and WiFi enabled AirPort Extreme Time Capsule in office at front of property.

Works great with fairly good reception throughout the property.

Airport extreme at back of property.

Connected to PVR, (used for) Apple TV audio output, and WiFi connectivity

Network looks like: PVR

|

(WiFi disabled) Router-----Airport Extreme Time Capsule ) ) ) ) ) ) Airport Express ) ) ) ) ) ) Devices (Computers, phones, Apple TV)

|

Apple TV Audio

")))" being WiFi

"---" or "| "Being an ethernet connection

With all things going well at each end, the network looks like:

In the office at the front of the property...

User uploaded file

In the rear of the property viewing Airport Utility on MacBook...

User uploaded file

and at the rear of the property (where the AirPort express is) viewing Airport Utility on iPhone/iPad at the same time.

Why the difference?

Airport express is not connected with an ethernet cable.

Wireless Extension only

User uploaded file

Now it all works sort of ok for a few minutes and then the connections start going down quicker than prices at a post Christmas sale.

This happens on all WiFi devices at rear of the property.

Most commonly I get this.

(It comes on and off every minute or so with lots of hang time showing in a browser search bar)...

User uploaded file

or sometimes it comes up with this...

User uploaded file

or this...

User uploaded file

Now if I crack the grumps with the situation, I get up out of my comfy chair (Yep I'm angry) and go into the office with my MacBook or chosen WiFi device and everything comes good. Nothing is switched on or off. The person left crying in the rear of the property because they have no connectivity still.

So the culprit is the AirPort Express.

How do I get this possiblymarvellous bit of equipment back on the straight and narrow with a happy ending for all?

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 7:03 AM

7 replies

Sep 4, 2014 9:21 AM in response to DuckSocks

"So the culprit is the AirPort Express."

Or in my case the netgear, the linksys, or <insert brand here>

This behavior seems to happen with any wireless bridge regardless of brand.

Good luck with this issue, I have had this issue since I bought my 6th gen AE. After over a year of having this problem, it hasn't been fixed yet.

I don't expect it to ever get fixed.

Sep 4, 2014 9:57 AM in response to Tin Omen

ANYONE that has bridging on a 6th gen AE with some other device (Airport Extreme/Express, Netgear, D-Link, etc.) without the WiFi freaking out please speak up.