Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Program frozen with one message open & grey

Hi, I am on mac laptop OSX 10.9.2 using Mail 7.2. I've never had any problems, but today I tried to open a "Mailer Daemon" message and it is frozen, not even open but a grey colored blank "message". I've tried:

• closing the message unsuccessfully
  • Force Quitting the application (reads "Mail (not Responding)") when I do. (4 times)
  • Turning off the entire computer, letting it rest and rebooting. (3 times)
  • Opening up my server on the internet and deleting the offensive message "mailer daemon"
  • Turning off the computer again.

So...as soon as I open mail, the grey "message" is open. I can click on the Mail Viewer window and have that come forward, but all is frozen.

Just did it again and it hasn't changed. Had to force quit again. Never before in 8 years of using the Mail application (different computers).

I'd really be so grateful for any suggestions and help. The rainbow wheel of death spins and spins. This is what I see...Grab is open to take a screen "grab".User uploaded file

Thank you so very much! Catherine

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 10:03 AM

5 replies

Sep 5, 2014 7:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc. I had tried opening and force quitting at least 8 times before I brought my laptop into a Mac specialty place...can you describe to me what the difference is in opening the application if I hold down the shift key first? Since I don't have it here, I can't give it a try, but before they wipe my Mail clean today, I'd really like to ask them to do this. What occurs when you hold down the shift key? Thanks so very much, Catherine

Mail Program frozen with one message open & grey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.