Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2011 Thunderbolt display problems

Running through mac all three screens work fine. However through Bootcamp in Windows 7 I'm having problems with the Thunderbolt display via hdmi - as many others are experiencing too.

I have a Macbook Pro early 2011 with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card. I have two external displays, one 19" monitor and a 21" LCD tv. I was sometimes able to get the TV to display through the Thunderbolt, however through the AMD Catalyst Control Center I disabled a monitor whilst I had the LG tv connected and now whenever I connect the LCD TV all 3 screens go black. It's an absolute nightmare.

I've taken a look at this article http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/169831-reset-display-settings-monitor-n ot-plugged.html and I bravely tried deleting some of the items here, but none of them are able to delete; I am logged in as an Administrator.

Before it was a matter of luck if the LCD TV would work, it's fine on startup; the windows 7 logo starts up with it, but when login comes round that's when the windows drivers take over and play havoc.

Now that I messed around in the advanced settings through AMD Catalyst Control Centre and selected to disable the macbook pro screen when connected to the LCD tv via thunderbolt (when I was lucky enough to make a connection) I don't think it will ever work again.

The problem is the screen must be connected, I'm unable to delete the LCD screen or anything unless it's connected.

I know many people have problems with the Thunderbolt display via Bootcamp, so I'm hoping there's a helpful genius out there.

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 11:40 AM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2015 4:02 AM in response to Dalmango

I managed to get the Thunderbolt display to work:

1. Load Windows in Bootcamp with the Thunderbolt Display Port plugged in - important as the Intel Thunderbolt only starts up on booting (start-up);
  2. Login as usual with username etc (most likely goes fuzzy at this point);
  3. Remove power to the Thunderbolt connected TV or Monitor, then plug back in after a second or so. Apparently this resets the drivers on the TV.

Macbook Pro 2011 Thunderbolt display problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.