Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Numbers Personal Budget template I can't figure out how to change the categories in both tabs (budget and transactions)

Brand new just bought Numbers and I used the personal budget template to enter our monthly budget. I customized the spread sheet with our budget categories, but then when I go to the transactions tab to add our transactions, it only has the generic categories. How do I change them so that my transactions end up on the table?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 12:06 AM

Sorry, I don't really understand this reply.

Popup menu is a data format. You find it on the right side bar Format>Cell>Data Format> Popup Menu. Change, delete, go wild. If you edit the first one you can copy it, select the rest of the column and paste. If you find you want an additional in a month or so you can enter it as text (after deleting the popup), then select it and the popup above and choose the popup format instead of multiple and you will have added it to that popup. You will need to fill it to the rest of the column.

On the Budget tab I've added new categories.

In the Transactions tab, if I format the cell and add a new pop-up menu item, how does it know how to link it to the category on the budget tab? If I make a budget category called 'groceries', for example, Then go on the Transactions tab and add a new pop up item called 'groceries', then enter in a transaction and click on 'groceries' in the pop up, nothing happens on the budget tab. They are not linked together. What am I missing?

Thanks!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2014 12:06 AM in response to t quinn

Sorry, I don't really understand this reply.

Popup menu is a data format. You find it on the right side bar Format>Cell>Data Format> Popup Menu. Change, delete, go wild. If you edit the first one you can copy it, select the rest of the column and paste. If you find you want an additional in a month or so you can enter it as text (after deleting the popup), then select it and the popup above and choose the popup format instead of multiple and you will have added it to that popup. You will need to fill it to the rest of the column.

On the Budget tab I've added new categories.

In the Transactions tab, if I format the cell and add a new pop-up menu item, how does it know how to link it to the category on the budget tab? If I make a budget category called 'groceries', for example, Then go on the Transactions tab and add a new pop up item called 'groceries', then enter in a transaction and click on 'groceries' in the pop up, nothing happens on the budget tab. They are not linked together. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2014 3:00 PM in response to artlisavz

Hi artlisavz,

There are 2 places to make changes.

I assume this is where you have already changed things:

The Budget tab- Summary by Category- just click the name and change it. Or else you dragged the "=" at the lower left to add rows. Added your categories.

You need to edit the popup in the Transactions tab- Category popup.

User uploaded file

If you added additional categories, you want to update the pie chart.

Click the pie chart, click "Edit Data References", drag the section to include your added categories.

quinn

Dec 2, 2014 7:10 AM in response to Skazzy

Hi Skazzy,

First, check your spelling. If the popup item and your category are spelled differently you will get no result.

Next. I am wondering how you added the category in the Budget tab. If I add it to the table "Summary by Category" by first adding a row by clicking the "=" on the lower left, I can add my new category no problem. It shows up automatically in the bar chart. In the pie chart I had to click the chart, click "edit data references" and make sure my new category was selected as a data reference. Everything seems to work.

User uploaded file

The formula in column C of "Summary by Category" is the link between the two sheets. The SUMIF() looks a column A and looks for a match in the transactions table column C, returns the value in column D.

quinn

Mar 25, 2015 12:52 PM in response to t quinn

Hello,

I am hoping you can help with a problem I am having in Numbers Budget as well.

I have my transactions all entered and categorized in the Transactions Tab. Thanks to your other tutorial posts.

When I go to the Budget tab, the table column labeled Actual did not carry over the transaction totals from the Transaction Tab and I therefore see a bunch of zeros in my Actual Column. But, Four of the categories transferred the data and the other 14 did not. I don't know why some calculated and transferred and some did not.

Do you know how I can get this to work properly? Thank you.

Jun 29, 2015 6:25 PM in response to t quinn

I am using Numbers Personal Budget Template for the 1st time.

It looks good and works great in the beginning however;

1. (It is June) I inserted all my income, expenses etc. and it automatically added the information

(correctly) and inserted the "Sums" at the bottom of the page at the location: "Annual Budget By Month"

2. ?; I would like to add information to previous months however there is nothing to click on to bring me to

previous months sheets. How do I create them or get to them???

3. ? ; I would like to work on future months sheets, how do I create them or get to them???

Thank you,

NALPDOG

Jun 29, 2015 6:26 PM in response to YpsiChick

Sorry for some reason it will not let me post a question so I am asking you directly. Thank you

I am using Numbers Personal Budget Template for the 1st time.

It looks good and works great in the beginning however;

1. (It is June) I inserted all my income, expenses etc. and it automatically added the information

(correctly) and inserted the "Sums" at the bottom of the page at the location: "Annual Budget By Month"

2. ?; I would like to add information to previous months however there is nothing to click on to bring me to

previous months sheets. How do I create them or get to them???

3. ? ; I would like to work on future months sheets, how do I create them or get to them???

Thank you,

NALPDOG

Mar 16, 2016 10:56 AM in response to Mtshepana

"Can one have more that one Tab (e.i Transactions, Transactions-1, Transactions-2) and have the pie chart summarising from a specific transaction tab?😕"

Probably, but this isn't a simple extension of the question in this thread. I suspect the discussion may get a bit complex.

Please post it as a new question.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 17, 2016 3:39 PM in response to Mtshepana

On a second look at your question:

Yes. Use a separate Summary table to summarise only the Transaction table that you want to chart, and attach the pie chart to that table.

You can have a separate Summary table that collects and summarises data from all three (or more) Transaction tables, including the data from the table you want to chart. That table would use a formula similar to the one below.

Transaction tables: T1, T2, T3

Categories listed in column B

Amounts listed in column C

Summary tables:

Categories listed in column A

sums listed in column B

Formula in Sum2::B2, and filled down

B2: =SUMIF(T2 :: $B,A,T2 :: $C)

Formula in SumAll:: B2, and filled down:

B2: =SUM(SUMIF(T1::$B,A,T1::$C),SUMIF(T2::$B,A,T2::$C),SUMIF(T3::$B,A,T3::$C))

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

Using Numbers Personal Budget template I can't figure out how to change the categories in both tabs (budget and transactions)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.