Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to clone 40 mac mini at the same time using network clone (like Ghost)

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 9:28 AM

Hi there Wong KS,

Your best bet may be to set up a NetRestore server. I would recommend reading the article below to see if this option works for you.

OS X Server: Creating a single NetBoot, NetInstall or NetRestore image for multiple Macs

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4178

-Griff W.

2 replies

Sep 8, 2014 5:02 AM in response to Wong KS

Rather than a 100% identical clone to 40 Macs, I suspect you want the same basic image to be loaded on to those 40 Macs but will require some individualisation so that for example each has a unique computer name.

NetRestore and System Imaging Utility can do this but a lot of people including myself prefer to use DeployStudio which has more capabilities. See http://www.deploystudio.com

DeployStudio can be used to like NetRestore to restore an image to multiple Macs at the same time which is like multiple people downloading at the same time, but it can unlike the standard NetRestore also be configured to use multicast traffic which is more like a TV broadcast whereby multiple people receive the same transmission at the same time. This can be more efficient for imaging larger numbers of computers at the same time. For example 1Gbps shared between 40 computers is only 25.6Mbps each, but if you multicast a single transmission of 100Mbps to 40 computers then all 40 can listen to it at the same time and still be receiving 100Mbps even on the same network connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.