Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID and primary email address

I get that the Apple ID I use for the App Store and iTunes should remain forever or I can't update anything; but, I don't use that email address anymore, though it is valid, and I want to change my primary email address to one that I actually use. The only place I can find it is on id.apple.com. I successfully changed it and then discovered that nothing knew me. I got notices wanting me to sign in to icloud and I don't use icloud though apparently Safari does. I changed the ID back to what it was and even verified the email (thankfully still active) but that brings me back to the same problem, I want my email address changed without having to research however many places on Apple will have to be reset. This wouldn't have been a problem if my ID and my email address were separate. Does Apple think people never change their email addresses? No wonder things get hacked if I have to use a valid email to identify myself to all sorts of hackable places. Is there a solution or do I just have to bow to the great and mighty Apple? Believe me I have been a Mac since 1984 and I never believed they would get as anal as Microsoft.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 8:33 AM

You can change the primary email address on an account via http://appleid.apple.com, the Store > View Account menu option on a computer's iTunes, or by tapping on it in Settings > iTunes & App Store on an iOS device and logging into it

Changing primary email address : Change your Apple ID

After changing it : Apple ID: What to do after you change your Apple ID

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2014 8:33 AM in response to ladybastet

You can change the primary email address on an account via http://appleid.apple.com, the Store > View Account menu option on a computer's iTunes, or by tapping on it in Settings > iTunes & App Store on an iOS device and logging into it

Changing primary email address : Change your Apple ID

After changing it : Apple ID: What to do after you change your Apple ID

Jan 11, 2015 4:57 AM in response to King_Penguin

This does not work, however, if you have a mac.com email address. That is what I have been told by Apple support for years. If you have been a loyal Apple / Mac customer for years and had a mac.com email address that you no longer use, you are stuck with that as your Apple ID, you do not therefore get iTunes News, emailed receipts, etc. even though, yes, I have provided an alternate email address. The only alternative would be to create a new Apple ID and your purchasing history, music library would be essentially "lost" or at best not linked to the new Apple ID. I find this unacceptable, but unresolvable nonetheless.

iMac, OS X Yosemite

Apple ID and primary email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.