Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on my mac says every contact is not registered with iMessage

When I type a contact to send an iMessage to from my mac, it turns red and says "message could not be sent, contact is not registered with iMessage"

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 12:23 PM

250 replies

Jun 16, 2017 11:59 AM in response to gheward91

Hi,

+44 is the International Dialling Code that is needed in some updates on OS X 10.12.5

Technically the Mobile Service's lead five digits are the "Area" code of a British Phone number. The bit you list as 71234.

Whilst the symptoms are similar to the Original Question in this 17 page Thread your issue is in fact different.

Yours relates to how Messages handles (or rather does Not) the info from the Contacts app when the lead Country Code is missing.

See this Thread Re: iMessage not displaying international dialling code instead of contact name

Previously the iMessages account had a separate Pane that slide out to say which Country you were is and this caused the Code for your country to be added to those numbers not given one in the Contacts.

Later versions relied on how th OS found out where it was and this was passed to Messages.

There seems to be an issue at OS X 10.12.5 and for some people the method on how they got there.

The issue does not exist in Mavericks.

Feb 3, 2017 8:23 PM in response to eh0608

Hi! I had the same problem. Here's what fixed it for me:

On my Macbook Pro

1. I selected the "Messages" App.

2. Then at the top left corner of the screen, you'll see your little Apple icon, beside that is the selections of "Messages," "File," "Edit," "View," "Buddies," "Window," and "Help."

3. Click on "Messages."

4. Then, click on "Preferences."

5. Then you're going to see two tab options "General," and "Accounts."

6. Select "Accounts."

7. Make sure you are logged in with your Apple ID on that. (That was my problem, I was not logged in with my Apple ID for the Messages Application on my Macbook).

8. After that, you should be all set up.

9. I restarted my laptop after I did this. Afterwards, I went to my iPhone and selected Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and I saw that my Macbook is connected. (I didn't see that before).

Hope this helps!

Sep 5, 2014 1:32 PM in response to eh0608

Hi,

This can be because your My Card in the Contacts app (or Address Book) is not showing your details.

It can also be caused by the Sync process between Mac and iOS devices for the Contacts app being messed up.

In the Contacts app go to the Preferences and check the "Accounts" options and see how you are Syncing he info.

It should be only one method (iCloud, Yahoo, Google etc.)

It can be caused by a partial Login to the iMessages server.

Try Signing Out of the app. Followed by Quitting it for a few minutes before reactivating the Apple ID

User uploaded file

9:32 pm Friday; September 5, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Sep 11, 2014 12:22 PM in response to mlinder2

Hi,

Start with the Apple ID site and the Manage ID option.

Check your Apple ID is verified and also that any Alternative email including the Recovery ID is also verified.

Check in Messages > Preferences > Accounts > iMessages account that the Apple ID is actually set to be active "Receive At" option

Same for any other email you have added.

In Contacts app check the Preferences > General section is set to the same Country/Region as the computer.

In System Preferences > Date and Time make sure the Date and Time are correct including the Time Zone and Daylight Saving if it applies.

It is worthwhile setting the Automatic Time Server function.

In the Finder > Go Menu > Go to Server enter ~/Library/Preferences into the dialogue box that appears.

In the Preferences find the com.apple.imessage.bag.plist file and (With the Messages app Quit) drag it to the Trash.

This file will hold the server the iMessages account is trying to use.

(Restart the app afterwards)

User uploaded file

8:22 pm Thursday; September 11, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 13, 2014 12:11 PM in response to wertjake

Hi,

Do you have any other account active in Messages on the Mac ?

It can be very difficult to ascertain if the iMessages account has logged in or not.

It has no Buddy list like the Bonjour (and other accounts).

There is nothing in the main Messages Window to say the iMessages account is On.

In the Main Messages window if you try to start an iMessages connection does it read "iMessage" in greyed out characters in the Text Field box ?

User uploaded file

Also try deleting the com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.iMessage.plist one as well whilst the app is Quit.

When you restart the app you will need to re-enter your Apple ID and accept the pop ups about what the iPhone is using.

User uploaded file

8:11 pm Saturday; September 13, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 13, 2014 1:38 PM in response to wertjake

Hi,

On re-reading I seem to have copied the wrong info across.

It should be this one:-

com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist

User uploaded file

9:38 pm Saturday; September 13, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 13, 2014 10:32 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I have been having this problem for MONTHS. I have had my mac for about 4 years and have never had a problem. Then all of a sudden about 6 months ago it stopped working. It has also stopped working on my iPad, but works fine on my iPhone 5. I have taken it to the Apple store, where they even tried messaging the store's iPhone, and still received the same "User is not registered with iMessage" error. They couldn't figure it out and told me they had to "Escalate it to the engineers". I waited about a month, until I finally called and they told me to try "logging out on all devices and logging back in" as if I hadn't tried that. They then assigned me a "Senior care rep" who asked me to try a bunch of things with no success. The Senior care rep then told me he would go back to the "Engineers" and call me in a week. I haven't heard from him in at least a month - just haven't had a chance to call back and devote every evening to talking to people on the phone trying to fix this problem. I really just don't understand how a basic feature could just not work for some people, and Apple has no idea how to fix it. If ANYONE out there knows how to fix this problem I would be so incredibly grateful.

Sep 16, 2014 7:18 AM in response to eh0608

I've been having this issue for a couple weeks, an another one of my friends is, too. Facetime is working perfectly on my computer, but I cannot send or receive iMessages from. When I look at the app, it shows me a one-sided conversation of the messages that I have sent, but does not show me anything sent to me from other iPhones (although it does sometimes show the blue dots indicating that someone is typing, but never shows me a message from someone). The contacts are all red, "not registered with iMessage" when I know they are. It is working fine on my iPhone and iPad. I have deleted the 4 files that Ralph suggested in this and other threads and double checked my account and signed in and out a million times. Apple will not help me because I have downloaded Yosemite beta (the problem started before the download, and I downloaded it hoping to fix it). The only "solutions" I have seen are when people say it magically got better overnight. Does anyone know what I can do?

Sep 16, 2014 11:42 AM in response to sga0006

Hi,

The "overnight" fix does suggest that restarting the computer may be involved as it is likely then that people turn their computer Off.

I would try a PRAM/NVRAM Reset by holing down CMD+ALT+P+R at Start up until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

I would also consider using a Safe Boot

User uploaded file

7:42 pm Tuesday; September 16, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iMessage on my mac says every contact is not registered with iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.