Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternate to set up two-step if SMS short codes blocked?

Facts:

• To prevent spam expenses, my corporate mobile plan blocks all SMS short codes.
  • Setting up two-step verification for Apple ID requires receiving a verification code that is (currently) sent from Apple using an SMS short code.
  • There is zero chance that the administrator of my mobile plan will unblock SMS short codes across the board for any period of time.

Given the above facts, which of the following three options (or maybe another one you know of?) is most likely to allow me to set up two-step verification:

1. Find which SMS short code(s) Apple sends verification codes from and unblock only those short codes. KB HT5593 "Apple ID: About two-step verification and SMS" lists the supported mobile carriers; does anyone know Apple's SMS short codes for those carriers?
  2. Have Apple ID send the verification code from a regular, non-short code SMS number like Yahoo! does?
  3. Have Apple ID deliver the verification code using a voice call like Google does?

Thank you. I'm looking forward to Apple ID catching up with other cloud services.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 7:24 PM

2 replies

Sep 5, 2014 9:49 PM in response to mwarren_

That does suck. You are trying to implement modern security that you company should applaud yet can't.

My only thought to try is if you associate your AppleID email with iMessages settings in iOS does Apple still send an SMS or do they then send an iMessage that might get through?

It's too bad that Apple doesn't support Google Authenticator App like so many other cloud services do.

Good luck.

Alternate to set up two-step if SMS short codes blocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.