Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring OS X Maverics on MBP from TimeCapsule after boot drive failure?

Hi,

I've had my TIme Capsule for a few years now. Last year I decided to self upgrade the internal HDD to 3TB to actually fit back-ups from my two mac's at home. On my MBP the boot drive failed. It's unfixable unfortunately.

Please advise how to restore full system on a new HDD on my MacBookPro from TimeCapsule, after boot drive failure?

-i must admit, that i am not sure how to connect the laptop with clean/ empty HDD to MBP and make it boot and install it all from Time Capsule.

Moreover, I am not sure how to connect it to Time Capsule, so that it doesn't take 3 days to restore.

There is both an ethernet port as well as USB 2.0 one too.

please give a hand with that.

P.S. That 'old' boot driveis still barely running, I wanted to hand copy at least my iPhoto Library of 110GB in size, but it just keeps crashing, as the file is so big. I mean, I should have it all back-ed up on TimeCapsule, but .... 😉

Antoni

TImeCapsule-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Seagate Agent GoFlex 1.5TB

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 5:54 PM

6 replies

Sep 5, 2014 6:22 PM in response to jar9

Does the computer support Internet Recovery - Command+Opt+R (See OS X: About OS X Recovery for reference)?

One method is to

1. Replace the old drive with the new drive.

2. Keep the old drive intact outside. It can be later used to pull data, if possible.

3. Start Internet Recovery.

4. Choose to Restore from Time Machine Backup.

5. If the MBP is connected to the TC via ethernet, it will make the restore go much faster. The TC LAN ports should be GigE.

You can also restore the drive externally if you have an external enclosure, but it may be slower. If that is an option, once restored, it can replace the internal drive an dyou should have all your files on the internal drive.

FW/TB Target Disk Mode is another option and variations of 1-5.

What Mac/year/model is the Mac?

Sep 6, 2014 6:32 AM in response to jar9

jar9 wrote:

"Does the computer support Internet Recovery - Command+Opt+R (See OS X: About OS X Recovery for reference)?"

-how would I know it would and does?

What Mac/year/model is the Mac?

-MacBookPro17" back from 2008.

As for TimeCapsule itself's as old as 2008 too.

My other laptop is 2013 MacBookAir.

Your Mac does not support Internet Recovery. Please see Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery for reference.

What OS version is/was currently running on the 17" MBP? Do you have the "grey" disks which originally came with the Mac? Your second Mac (2013 MBA) will be very handy, if you do not.

OS X Mavericks: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode describes a set up called Target Disk Mode. In your case the Tech specs for the 17" MBP indicate that it has two Firewire ports (400 and 800). Unfortunately you will need an adapter like TB-to-FW adapter and a FW 800 cable to connect them and then you can use the MacBook Air to see the failed machine's disk as a regular disk. This method allows file copying, etc., without needing another external enclosure, but the adapter/cable is the investment vs an external SATA disk enclosure.

My suggestion is

1. Remove the old drive from the 17"MBP.

2. Install new drive.

3. Boot from the Grey recovery disk (assuming your Optical drive is functional).

4. Restore the backup from Time Machine after you have a functional OS on the new drive.

Sep 6, 2014 12:22 PM in response to Loner T

HI,

my upgraded TimeCapsule is as old as A1254, I just checked.

On my MBP17 I wam running Maverics as well, but as for the grey CD's I am not sure where they are, but nevertheless I kept upgrading all the way to Maverics (step by step), so I would definately not like to go through all of that again now, especiay wanting it in 'one go' obviously.

WHat was the other option for me using the MBA though?

thank you so much guys, you are so helpful !

ps I read on the mac maverics help that it is not reccomended to do a TimeCapse restore on an external HDD, if it is not being done from that same computer where is it planned to be used as a boot drive all in all. Not sure why though, as Maverics should simply be Maverics no matter where.

PS2 I was still hoping to do a HDD clone of that failing druve (as it is still working, but unable to boot from), but I am not sure which app specificay would help me try to do that, since a normal cloning software be ending up giving me lots of errors, Isuppose).

Sep 6, 2014 12:57 PM in response to jar9

1. Using the "Grey" disks is to bring up the machine from the CD/DVD and then restore to the new internal HDD from a Time Capsule backup, if possible. It is not viable if you do not have the disks, this is an unlikely choice.

2. Using the second Mac

a. Replace the old internal drive, with the new drive in the MBP.

b. Start the MBP in target disk mode using power cycle and holding the 'T' key. Please see Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs for details.

c. Format the new internal drive in the MBP as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Please ensure you choose the right disk.

You do not want to wipe your MBA drive by mistake.

d. Start Mavericks installation and choose the new disk in the MBP as target.

e. Once you have Mavericks up on the MBP, start a recovery and restore from your Time Capsule. This should give you your latest Mavericks and all files.

3. If the old drive is failing, the more you try to access it, the worse the data loss can be on that specific drive, even though you have a TC backup.

4. You can also install Mavericks directly on the new drive by using the method in 2 and a SATA-to-USB connection using the MBA. If you do this, now you have the Mavericks OS on the new drive, which can now be put in the MBP and a TC restore would be next logical step.

5. Creating a bootable OS X installer in OS X Mavericks lets you create a USB stick, and now with the new drive in the MBP, you can do a TC restore to the new drive in MBP using the USB to boot the MBP from. If you have issues booting the MBP from the USB, this method will not be viable either.

restoring OS X Maverics on MBP from TimeCapsule after boot drive failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.