Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running the Mac OS X maintenance scripts on Maverics 10.9.4

Hello Apple Community,

I was reading up on scheduled maintenance routines — known as maintenance scripts — that clean up a variety of System logs and temporary files. By default, these scripts are executed between 03:15 and 05:30 hours local time, depending on the script. The thing is that I always shut down my MAC before going to bed.

I did some research (apple support forum, Mac OS X: About background maintenance tasks), and it turned out that people have different opinion on whether or not these scripts would run automatically (daily, weekly and monthly) if the Mac is shut down.

I read Mac OS X: About background maintenance tasks about 10 times and I believe I believe that the way these scrips work varies depending on the version of the OS.

Additional Information

The tasks are scheduled for 03:15 to 05:30 in your computer's local time zone. This is described further in "Mac OS X: Unexplained Disk Activity Produced by 'find' Process." These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large in Mac OS X v10.5 or earlier.

So in Mac OS X 10.5 there is chance of log files becoming large. How about Mac OS X 10.9.4?

Do I need to run these scrips manually (like is is described here or install this software) os maverics will take care of them automatically?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 1:23 AM

There's no need to run the scripts manually in 10.6 and later. They run automatically after startup, at different times.

3 replies

Running the Mac OS X maintenance scripts on Maverics 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.