Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad and iphone not charging

Both my Ipad air and Iphone 5 are no longer charging. I had left my Iphone to charge overnight, but when I woke up the next day I only had 30% charge. I then tried charging my phone using different cables,different plugs and rebooted my phone but it still wouldn't charge. However my Ipad could still charge using the same chargers. I then left my Iphone on charge for a few hours to see if would charge again, and when i unplugged my phone and tried charging my Ipad my Ipad would no longer charge. Sometimes when trying to charge my Iphone it would say either 'This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably' or 'This accessory may not be supported'. I have tried plugging my Iphone into my laptop but it is not being recognized. Does anyone know what the problem is or how i can fix it. Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 6:05 AM

11 replies

Sep 6, 2014 6:12 AM in response to LL99

LL99 wrote:

Sometimes when trying to charge my Iphone it would say either 'This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably' or 'This accessory may not be supported'. I have tried plugging my Iphone into my laptop but it is not being recognized. Does anyone know what the problem is or how i can fix it. Thank you

IIt sounds like you are either not using certified Apple accessories, or that your cable/chargers are not working properly. Are you using the correct cable and charger for each device? The ones that Apple supplies with the devices?

Sep 6, 2014 6:22 AM in response to LL99

OK. Are you using the same cable for both devices or the specific cable that came with each device? I'm just trying to deduce if it could be one bad cable and that's why I ask. It would really be odd for both devices to quit charging if you are using separate cables for each device. Just looking for a common thread here.

Have you tried another wall socket? Have you restarted both devices?

Sep 6, 2014 6:49 AM in response to LL99

I Think the next thing that I would look for is dirt or debris in the port of both devices. Maybe you are getting a bad connection caused by something in those openings. Do you live in a high humidity area? Somewhere warm where you leave windows open and dust can blow around?

BTW, have you tried plugging the iPad into the laptop?

Sep 6, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Demo

I have cleaned both sockets but it still didn't work. I have tried plugging my ipad into my laptop but nothings happening. Also, I have just tried charging an ipod and it was charging perfectly. Maybe the charger is overheating after being plugged in for a while, and it is breaking the charger socket?

Sep 6, 2014 7:15 AM in response to LL99

Are you using the correct charger for each device? I thought that we established that, but now I'm not sure. If you are using the same charger for both devices, maybe the charger is bad. Does the charger feel real hot? I know that my iPad charger blocks can get pretty warm and that the end of the cable going into the charger gets warm as well, but they don't get "hot". If you are using that same charger for the iPod, it may not require as much power to charge as the iPhone and iPad require.

Why neither device is being recognized on the laptop is a bit of a mystery. I assume that you mean it's not being recognized in iTunes.

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

or....

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for OS X

Sep 6, 2014 7:46 AM in response to Demo

I had been using the same charger for my ipad and iphone. This charger now doesn't charge my iphone or ipad but it still works for a ipod. I have tried charging my iphone and ipad with another charger but it didn't work, even though this charger does charge the ipod. My other charger does not charge my ipod, iphone or ipad. I tried using different wall sockets with both working cables and only my ipod would charge. I also tried using a playstation and laptop as a power source using both cables. It worked every time with the ipod but did not work with either my ipad or iphone. I can connect the ipod to itunes but not my ipad or iphone.

Sep 6, 2014 11:22 AM in response to LL99

I'm sorry. I went out for. While, and lost sight of this one. Hopefully others will join in now.

Do you have access to someone else's iPad charger that you could try? I wonder if you didn't somehow fry the ports on the iPad and the iPhone by using a bad charger, since both devices will not charge and neither device is being recognized by the laptop.

Ipad and iphone not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.