Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Macintosh 4400/200 (7220) – No video output

Hi guys

In my collection, I've got a "mutant mac", a Power Macintosh 4400/200 and I'd like to bring it back to life again!

The owner wanted to throw it away, so I got it (with mouse and keyboard) and the same day, I also saved a boxed Power Mac G4 AGP 350 Mhz from being recycled...

Well, the problem: No video output at all! As I don't have any old Apple CRTs (yet ;–) ), I tried 5 other CRTs with a DB-15 to VGA adapter (tried all possible resolutions). The CRTs lights don't even get green when I connect it to the 4400.

But I think that it still boots (start up gong, hard drive seems to be working). I've done PRAM-reset several times...

So:

1. Adapter dead?

2. VRAM dead?

3. PRAM battery dead? But that wouldn't affect the graphics, I guess...

Where would you start?

Thx a lot!

Nicolas (from Switzerland)

Power Macintosh-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 3:42 PM

Some older Macs, including ones from that approximate period, could fail to show any video in the absence of a working PRAM battery so don't be too quick to rule that one out. Apple once had an article showing models that did this but I found others not listed the showed the same behavior.

Hey! The article hasn't been nuked like so many others that deal with older Macs:

Macintosh Computers: Low Battery Can Cause No Video

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2014 3:42 PM in response to XBHS1997

Some older Macs, including ones from that approximate period, could fail to show any video in the absence of a working PRAM battery so don't be too quick to rule that one out. Apple once had an article showing models that did this but I found others not listed the showed the same behavior.

Hey! The article hasn't been nuked like so many others that deal with older Macs:

Macintosh Computers: Low Battery Can Cause No Video

Sep 6, 2014 9:59 PM in response to XBHS1997

You should definitely replace the battery on the motherboard, because it's an alkaline (4.5-V, Rayovac 870, 871, or equivalent) that will leak, after it becomes completely discharged. I've seen Performa 6400s that were badly damaged, because the motherboard is vertically-oriented and the leaking alkaline solution dripped down the board, corroding the components in its path. The battery is secured to the motherboard with velcro, so it helps to use a non-conductive tool (like a popsicle stick) to hold down the plastic-toothed base that's stuck to the board, as you lift up on the battery. Some of those Mac-to-VGA adapters have a set of 10 DIP switches, and I had the best luck with that type.

Sep 7, 2014 12:22 AM in response to XBHS1997

Thank you very much for the help!

OK, I've disassembled it to take the Rayovac out, I believe it's a 840. I'm gonna look for a battery, or try to "make" something with less rare batteries...

Yes, my adapter has 10 switches, I think.

I've found that: Power Macintosh 4400/200: Technical Specifications

But only with the help of google... So if you look for tech specs of another old mac on apple.com, try "Archived – and your model" in google

Thanks again! I'm looking forward to see my "Mutant Mac" boot again after almost 10 years (I guess) :–)

Sep 7, 2014 9:16 PM in response to XBHS1997

Apparently, Rayovac has replaced the now-discontinued 870/871 with the 840, available at parts-express.com. That's good to know, because we've been mentioning the 870/871 for 15+ years now. If you Google "Rayovac 870," you'll see links to past Forum topics. Anyway, as you're undoubtedly aware, you can take (3) 1.5-v AA batteries and connect them in series, to provide the necessary 4.5 volts. Some users bought a plastic AA battery holder from an electronics store and transferred the black/red leads w/connector from their dead battery, to the battery pack they created. I'd use lithium AAs, because they won't leak like a dead alkaline battery will.

As for the Mac-to-VGA adapter with (10) DIP switches, I used these settings: Flip up (ON) switches #1, 4, 6, 7, and 8. That always worked for me with multi-scan CRT displays and a variety of older Power Macs. Depending on the amount of installed VRAM, you can enjoy higher screen resolution and greater color depth. The specs for your Power Mac 4400/200 are also listed at everymac.com.

Sep 8, 2014 11:40 AM in response to XBHS1997

Nicolas,

I have bad news and good news.

Bad News: I found only one website that claims to have the DevNotes for the 440 but it is not one with which I have any familiarity, and that concerns me. Many sites offering "free" manuals also give you free malware.

Good News: I just found the PowerMac 4400 Developer Notes stored on an older Mac in the "Geriatric Mac Museum"--our spare bedroom. It does not include takedown and service steps, but does show some valuable info like pin-outs for the video that might be useful to you.

It is a pdf file that is approximately 500 KB and is in English. Is your internet connection fast enough that a file that size will clog your system? If so I can e-mail it to you. Don't post an e-mail address in open forums here. Rather, unhide it in your profile long enough for me to send, then rehide it once you receive the file.

Any email from me should be easy to spot as my address includes my user name here.

Allan

Sep 8, 2014 12:59 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan!

Yes, I never download anything from such websites...

Man, that's great! :–) You have rare documents at home?! I'll definitely take them by e-mail!

I hope it will... Let's give a try! OK, I'll do that!

Thanks very much for your help!

I've disassembled it now and will clean it up before reassembling (Maybe the re-seating of the connectors will solve the problem?) We'll see...

Nicolas

Sep 9, 2014 12:11 PM in response to XBHS1997

Thanks again to Allan who sent me the DevNotes for the 4400!

Jeff was talking about a 10 switch-adapter. I thought mine had 10, but no, only 6 ^^ (BUT it supports 640x480, which should work with VGA)

Well, may that be the whole problem? I think I'll look for a 10-switch adapter.

By the way, another old article for someone who would like to know more about mac monitor sense codes: Macintosh Monitor Sense Codes: Technical Description

Nicolas

Sep 10, 2014 11:48 PM in response to XBHS1997

You can also just use electrical tape to bundle (3) AA batteries together, and then solder a wire across the bottoms for connection to the black battery lead and do the same across the tops of the batteries, for connection to the red battery lead. Obviously, a plastic battery holder into which you can insert the batteries would be easier. Have you removed the VRAM card and cleaned its gold-plated or tinned contacts, front & back? Oxidization can occur on them, causing problems such as you're experiencing. Do you know which type of VRAM card is installed in the slot (next to the left side of the computer)? It could be a 1 or 2 MB EDO DIMM or a 1, 2, or 4 MB SGRAM DIMM.

I suppose that you have no idea if this 4400 was functioning correctly, the last time the owner used it? For better graphics, I'd suggest installing a Mac-compatible PCI graphics card The Apple/ATI Rage 128 found in the Blue & White G3s is a good choice, and it has 16 MBs of VRAM. The PC versions of any of these older graphics cards won't function in your 4400, because they must be programmed with a Mac ROM. More than 10 years ago, I bought several ATI Rage Pro (Mac) PCI graphics cards for use with my older Power Macs. The cards had 4 MBs of onboard SGRAM and a slot to accommodate ATI's proprietary 2 or 4 MB SGRAM card. I typically installed a 4 MB card, to provide 8 MBs of SGRAM. It was a nice upgrade, over the onboard GPUs found in those models. Check all of the memory DIMMs, to be sure that they're compatible: 64-bit wide, 168-pin unbuffered 3.3-v EDO (60ns), with a 1K or 2K refresh rate (4K isn't supported). Is an L2 Cache card installed in the slot? If so, make sure that it and the memory DIMMs aren't oxidized on the pins. If so, gently clean them with a soft (white) eraser and blow off any rubber shavings, prior to re-installation.

Sep 11, 2014 12:14 PM in response to XBHS1997

Hi!

The previous owner already got it with the problem some years ago... and it is possible, but I'm not sure, that the guy who gave it to him already got it with the problem too ^^ Well...

I've noticed something: When I press the start button (not holding it like for a forced shut down) when it is running, it immediately shuts down... normal? Or does it depend on the OS?

The VRAM seems clean, but the RAM... not corroded, but maybe it could need some cleaning... I'll do that (and some research about the model).

I think it's still original (not upgraded).

VRAM: AP2761-04 original (on the 200, 2MB VRAM)

Like this one http://www.ebay.de/itm/Apple-Power-Mac-4400-2MB-Video-Memory-Module-333-1083-AP2 761-04-/140702460450

RAM: in slot 1, I have a Viking Components E213018

Slot 2 is empty

In slot 3: SEC KMM366F213BK-6U (on mine, its' written Korea 9710 instead)

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SDRAM-168-PIN-DIMM-SAMSUNG-KMM366F213BK-6U-EDO-16MB-U N-VINTAGE-RARE-16-MB-16MB-/111222598109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_23&hash=item19e56229 dd

But I think that a new PRAM-battery should work!

Thanks

Nicolas

Power Macintosh 4400/200 (7220) – No video output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.