Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of 3 iPads at home is wrong! I live in NY, not Texas!

This seems to be a recurring problem going back years. All other devices on the same network show correct location data. iPads report being in Texas and its really annoying. No offense to anyone from Texas, but come on...

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 1:18 PM

5 replies

Sep 6, 2014 1:34 PM in response to lifelike

Appears your iPads are trying to tell you something, like move to Texas.

I assume the iPads are wifi only. Look at this link about Location Services iOS 7: Understanding Location Services

Location on wifi devices is approximate, however, it should not be that far off. Cellular iPads have GPS and location services is very accurate.

Have the iPads been taken to Texas?

Try this - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.) No data/files will be erased. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

To solve some problems, just follow these simple steps

1. Go to Settings

2. Tap on General

3. Tap on Reset

4. Tap on Reset All Settings

What this effectively does is to reset some of your Settings to factory default. It’s not a complete removal of settings. It removes all of your preferences for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do No Disturb, Notifications, General, Sounds, Brightness & Wallpaper and Privacy. It doesn’t affect your data. All of your email accounts will remain intact, as well as any SMS text or iMessages.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Sep 6, 2014 1:48 PM in response to lifelike

What other devices? A Wi-Fi only iPad does not have an installed GPS chip. Locations for those devices are determined by having the location of the Wi-Fi router they are connected to being in a database. If the stored location for the Wi-Fi router is not in the database or is stored incorrectly, the location for attached Wi-Fi only devices can be in error. If your other devices are phones, they have GPS capability and will report their location correctly.

Sep 6, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Its awesome that Texas Mac Man has helped me after "complaining" about iPads "being" in Texas. ;-) I've done resets before and that was to be my next step. But after doing a reset of all settings, unfortunately the problem persists. We just moved about 3 blocks away and have a new router, and I suspect that might have something to do with it.

thank you tho!

Matt

Location of 3 iPads at home is wrong! I live in NY, not Texas!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.