Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conditional highlighting using a formula

In Word for Mac, we can highlight cells based on a formula. Is there a way to get the same in Numbers,too?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 5:41 PM

33 replies

Sep 7, 2014 12:41 AM in response to t quinn

Hi t quinn,

All the three columns in a row should be coloured Red whose sum total is zero.

Ex.:

The cells A1, B1 and C1 has no value, so the sum of A1+B1+C1 is zero.

Now with the Highlighting Rule, the cells A1, B1 and C1 must be turned Red, as it is possible in Word for Mac.

If it is not possible in Numbers, how could I get the same result using what method?

Sep 7, 2014 6:59 AM in response to Naikosen

Hi Naikosen,

Did I say column? I should have said table. This is a workaround that I have seen before on these forums.

Create a single cell table whose cell spans the 3 cells in your data table you want to highlight. Text in this table is white- will not show.

the formula in the cell is =IF(data::$A1:$C1=0,"T","F")

Conditional highlighting sets the fill and text to red using a Custom Style

Send the highlight table to the back with Menu>Arrange>Send to Back.

Avoid dragging the tables.

User uploaded file

Will this work for you?

quinn

Sep 8, 2014 10:01 PM in response to Naikosen

Hi Naikosen,

You are correct, we can't put a formula directly into a highlight rule. It is possible to get the same result.

It is so frustrating to me that screenshots are currently problematic. I wish I knew what was the problem- it has been getting worse in my experience.

Let me try to describe my screen shot.

Data Table is the table you currently have.

Highlight Table is a table you create that is a single cell, 3 Data Table cells wide. When it is dragged over the Data Table it will match the cells you want highlighted. Set the text color to white in this cell.

The formula in this cell is

=IF(data::$A1:$C1=0,"T","F")

Conditional highlighting sets the fill and text to red using a Custom Style. If you need help finding the Conditional Highlighting sidebar let me know.

Text is:

T

Custom Style is the last offering in the drop down.

Set fill to red, set text to red.

--Here is where I paused and checked to see if things worked. Make an entry in one of your data table cells, the highlight table should turn red. If ok, then continue.

Drag the highlight table directly over the three cells in the Data Table you want to highlight.

Send the highlight table to the back with Menu>Arrange>Send to Back.

Avoid dragging the tables.

Let me know if anything is not clear.

quinn

Sep 11, 2014 8:30 PM in response to t quinn

Hi t quinn,

Your recent suggestion is very useful. But my problem is still mocking at me.

Below is the snapshot of a would be final result of Conditional Highlighting rule, where:

1. the entire row having number 1-9 in any of its columns would be displayed.
  2. the row having only '0' value in all its three columns would be white so as to make invisible in cells.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Naikosen

Sep 11, 2014 10:25 PM in response to Naikosen

Hi Naikosen,

Unfortunately your screenshot is not visible to me. I don't know it this will help us here but I have seen where copying and pasting of a table into the reply box can help illustrate what is needed.

However, if I understand what you are asking for, this is much simpler than before.

You are trying to hide a zero result, yes? This is simple.

Your conditional highlighting rule in each cell is:

Numbers>equal to 0

Custom format>white text (this is the color picker on the left side)

After you have made your rule in one cell, select it and the others.

Click "Show Highlighting Rules" and click "Combine Rules".

quinn

Sep 12, 2014 6:54 AM in response to t quinn

Hi t quinn,

The screenshot as copy pasted below may clear what I needed:

To make more precise:

1. The numbers 0, 0 and 1 is displayed because the row is having value more than 0 at least in one column in the row.
  2. Remaining three rows are empty because they're having only 0 value (hidden by colouring them white) in all three columns.

In another word, =IF(SUM(A1:C1)=0,"Turn the font colour White","No change")

Regards,

Naikosen

Conditional highlighting using a formula

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.