Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the recommended size for Album Artwork?

Is there a limiting factor (pixel width x height, or resolution dpi) for Album Artwork? I'm not having a problem with viewing the thumbnails on the computer (Windows) but on some devices (iPod & car screen display) some images show a generic image, but in iTunes the correct image artwork is shown.

I suspect there is a limit to the image size.

Thanks

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 6:29 PM

If there is a limit to image size I'm not sure what it is - I was able to run a script against my library and I see artwork from as small as 104x104 pixels up to 1905x1876 pixels (which makes me think that I should be looking for higher resolution images in some cases, and much lower in others!). AFAIK all render correctly in iTunes and on a range of iDevices.

The "standard" (at least as far as iTunes Store and Amazon mp3 purchases is concerned) seems to be 600x600, though I suspect that may be more that's needed in almost all cases (especially since iTunes 11 dropped the cover flow view and the ability to resize artwork in albums view, both of which would benefit from higher resolution). When I can't get artwork automatically from the Store and either scan images or retrieve them from elsewhere on the 'net, I tend to resize to 300x300 which seems to work fine on screen and on my iPods.

If you're not seeing some artwork images I suspect it has more to do with format rather than resolution - it may be worth experimenting with a couple of examples that don't display correctly on your iPod, replacing the existing artwork in iTunes with a JPEG file, resolution in the range 300x300 - 600x600, and see if the issue is fixed on the iPod after re-syncing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2014 6:29 PM in response to Roxie2401

If there is a limit to image size I'm not sure what it is - I was able to run a script against my library and I see artwork from as small as 104x104 pixels up to 1905x1876 pixels (which makes me think that I should be looking for higher resolution images in some cases, and much lower in others!). AFAIK all render correctly in iTunes and on a range of iDevices.

The "standard" (at least as far as iTunes Store and Amazon mp3 purchases is concerned) seems to be 600x600, though I suspect that may be more that's needed in almost all cases (especially since iTunes 11 dropped the cover flow view and the ability to resize artwork in albums view, both of which would benefit from higher resolution). When I can't get artwork automatically from the Store and either scan images or retrieve them from elsewhere on the 'net, I tend to resize to 300x300 which seems to work fine on screen and on my iPods.

If you're not seeing some artwork images I suspect it has more to do with format rather than resolution - it may be worth experimenting with a couple of examples that don't display correctly on your iPod, replacing the existing artwork in iTunes with a JPEG file, resolution in the range 300x300 - 600x600, and see if the issue is fixed on the iPod after re-syncing.

Sep 7, 2014 10:51 AM in response to hhgttg27

Hi - Thanks.

It must be the pixel size - I changed some of my images from 1024 to 600 x 600 and they now all display. The iPod was able to display the larger images but the Chrysler U-Connect screen would not - when I changed to the smaller size, now the Thumbnails all display.

As I mentioned, the computer screen with iTunes didn't have a problem either.

Thanks for the help.

What is the recommended size for Album Artwork?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.