Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse pointer not always changing on mouseover

Hey there folks.

I have an issue with my mouse that started a few days ago. My cursor doesn't always change properly when I mouseover certain things. For example, when I hover it above a link, it turns into a pointing hand like it should, when I navigate to the URL bar, it will stay as the hand even after clicking for a short while before changing to what it's supposed to become (the thin bar.) Sometimes it will remain a thin bar when it's supposed to be a black arrow, and so forth. I've tried troubleshooting the issue, but I haven't found much of relevance. One user seemed to be experiencing the same thing albeit only in some pro software I don't use. Mine is system wide.

I'm using the trackpad on a 2014 baseline 15" rMBP running Mavericks 10.9.4.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 5:21 PM

3 replies

Sep 7, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Eric Root

I have two other mice - both wired - one Cyborg Rat 3 and one generic Dell mouse. The issue persists across all of them, though it's worse with the Cyborg Rat mouse. I'm usually using the trackpad, the issue persists there too. It just never goes away regardless of what I do. Even if I could fix it for one mouse, the issue would still remain when I use the trackpad which is built into my MBP, no?

Thanks for the reply

Sep 7, 2014 4:41 PM in response to swellrevolt87

I solved my own problem. It turns out this glitch only happens in SAFARI and MAIL (Funnily enough, I found quite a few threads after some deeper searching, one person also mentions this and mentions Safari and Mail under Mavericks.) I use Chrome now (glitch was seriously annoying me in Safari) and have decided to put up with it in Mail because I don't like the alternatives.

I use Mail and Safari so much it made me think it was system wide, while in reality it's just the two applications.

No wrong mouseovers at all on Chrome or anywhere else.

Mouse pointer not always changing on mouseover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.