Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you add effects to tracks in Garageband?

User uploaded file

Hey guys, I've recently bought my first MacBook today and I really want to know how on earth I could add effects like reverb and chorus to tracks? I can't find them anywhere! All I can find is the preset sounds and instruments that already have effects on them. That's a point, how do you get rid of the effects that the presets have on them?

I have a MacBook Air and Garageband 10.0.2.

Help please!!??!?!?

MacBook Air, Garageband 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 8:22 AM

Use one of the predefined patches with reverb or chorus for your tracks. You cannot add these effects separately.

To find suitable patches get yourself HangTime's marvelous GBEffectFinder.

You can download it for free at Bullets&Bones: http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/File%20Pages/GBEffectFinder.html

To disable effects in the patches, use the Smart Controls and switch the effects off, that you do not want.

Some effects can be added using the AudioUnits. There are some predefined filters available.

1. Enable the Audio Units in the GarageBand Preferences and then open the Smart Controls.
  2. To add afilter audio unit, click the Audio Unit button and enlarge the Smart Controls pane by dragging the dividing line to the Track Area upwards.
  3. Click the Audio Units Brick and select your filter.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2014 8:22 AM in response to The ANiallator

Use one of the predefined patches with reverb or chorus for your tracks. You cannot add these effects separately.

To find suitable patches get yourself HangTime's marvelous GBEffectFinder.

You can download it for free at Bullets&Bones: http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/File%20Pages/GBEffectFinder.html

To disable effects in the patches, use the Smart Controls and switch the effects off, that you do not want.

Some effects can be added using the AudioUnits. There are some predefined filters available.

1. Enable the Audio Units in the GarageBand Preferences and then open the Smart Controls.
  2. To add afilter audio unit, click the Audio Unit button and enlarge the Smart Controls pane by dragging the dividing line to the Track Area upwards.
  3. Click the Audio Units Brick and select your filter.

Sep 7, 2014 3:19 PM in response to léonie

User uploaded fileI've worked out how to do it!!! 😀 😀 😀

You click on GarageBand in the top left corner, click on audio/midi and then enable the use of effects!

The result should make your smart controls look like this:

User uploaded file As you can see on the left-hand side, when you click the i icon, not only does it have keyboard sensitivity, but also audio units!!

Click on the audio units and choose your effects!

User uploaded file

Sep 7, 2014 3:34 PM in response to léonie

Hi, I can't find the predefined patches for effects like the one's in the video in that link you gave me? When I click on the library as well as smart controls, the library comes up with different instruments whereas the smart control just shows the smart control for the instrument I've selected. There's no effects patches anywhere for me?

Sep 7, 2014 3:53 PM in response to The ANiallator

Hi, I can't find the predefined patches for effects like the one's in the video in that link you gave me? When I click on the library as well as smart controls, the library comes up with different instruments whereas the smart control just shows the smart control for the instrument I've selected. There's no effects patches anywhere for me?

The newest GarageBand is completely different from the previous version. You simply cannot add any effect to any track. When you want the effect "Flanger", you have to find an instrument, that has the Flanger. Looking at the GBEffectFinder I see that only two instruments have a Flanger, plus one performance patch for global effects.

User uploaded file

The Chorus is available for more instruments.

How do you add effects to tracks in Garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.