Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse pointer not always changing on mouseover

I just realised I posted this in the wrong forum yesterday. It hasn't received any replies there and I haven't bumped the other thread, so I'll post it again here, where it belongs.

Hey there folks.

I have an issue with my mouse that started a few days ago. My cursor doesn't always change properly when I mouseover certain things. For example, when I hover it above a link, it turns into a pointing hand like it should, when I navigate to the URL bar, it will stay as the hand even after clicking for a short while before changing to what it's supposed to become (the thin bar.) Sometimes it will remain a thin bar when it's supposed to be a black arrow, and so forth. I've tried troubleshooting the issue, but I haven't found much of relevance. One user seemed to be experiencing the same thing albeit only in some pro software I don't use. Mine is system wide.

I'm using the trackpad on a 2014 baseline 15" rMBP running Mavericks 10.9.4.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 6:48 AM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2017 12:19 PM in response to swellrevolt87

Hi all, I'm new to apple products and have a new 2017 MacBook Pro..... I've had this too and am actually on my 3rd one as 2 have had faults and been swapped. My new one does this, only intermittently and the cursor changes to what it should be after I've clicked on that new bit. The previous ones did this too, so is this just a Mac thing? All help most appreciated, thanks.

Sep 11, 2014 7:33 AM in response to swellrevolt87

I have this problem as well and would also like to know a way to fix it.

My issue started after reinstalling Mavericks, and, as of right now, it appears that it only presents when i'm attached to an external monitor (thunderbolt display). The hover state of my cursor doesn't always activate properly. Drop down menus don't open upon hover. This is also true when trying to pull up my dock. Once in a while, it will unhide when I mouse to the lower edge of my screen. Most of the time, I would have to click on the edge to bring it up. Once I disconnect my external display, everything works fine. Weird

Feb 23, 2015 11:11 AM in response to swellrevolt87

I'm having similar problems with an additional twist; I am unable to get the Dock to appear, the cursor doesn't change to a hand over URLs, drop down menus don't open upon hover...and when I try to drag an email in Mail from the In Box to one of the various folders I've created to store emails, the cursor turns into a miniature letter and when I release the mouse button to put the email into the folder IT DOESN'T release the email and I can't get the cursor to change...it just stays this miniature letter icon and I can't do anything with the mouse anymore. At this point Mail is completely unusable and I have to force quite Mail (that's the only way a restart will work) and then restart the computer (iMac with Mavericks 10.9.5) to regain functionality.

This is INCREDIBLY frustrating and is driving me nuts; I use this computer for work and cannot afford the constantly having to restart. I've been a Mac user for almost 30 years and have never experienced a problem I didn't eventually figure out and solve...until now.

Mouse pointer not always changing on mouseover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.