Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I tell what year my iMac is?

How do I tell what year my iMac is? I wish to upgrade a 24" iMac to Mavericks. If I cannot upgrade without updating hardware I wish to know what hardware I need to best upgrade my iMac (short of buying a new iMac).

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 8:14 AM

To upgrade to Mavericks, you must have at least an iMac7,1...you can find that by clicking the apple, left side of the menu bar, About This Mac, More Info, System Report, Hardware and there you will see Model Identifier: iMac with a number. If it is greater than or equal to 7,1 you can go to Mavericks.

9 replies

Sep 7, 2014 8:19 AM in response to Sport2-175

I wish to know what hardware I need to best upgrade my iMac (short of buying a new iMac).

There is no hardware you can upgrade on the iMac (except RAM). You should add as much RAM as your machine will take.

Sport2-175 wrote:

Hold Option then Apple menu > System Information.

Select Hardware on the left sidebar and it will show you which Mac you have.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.