Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock A Folder

When I want to lock a folder (Pressing Command-I) and change everybody's access into: No Access. Finder says that the operation can't be completed because I don't have the necessary permission. What do I do to get the necessary permission?

Mac Os 10.9.4

MacBook Air, Other OS, MacBook Pro 10.9.4

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 2:04 AM

4 replies

Sep 8, 2014 6:59 AM in response to Elizaema

If it's owned by you then just check the lockbox. You don't lock a folder by removing access. You would do it from the command line (Terminal).

sudo chflags uchg <path to folder>

But maybe you don't really mean "lock" and you do want to prevent access?

Usually this requires knowing how to change Permissions in Terminal, but there's an easy way to do this using BatChmod

http://www.lagentesoft.com/batchmod/index.html

Open up BatChmod and just drag the folder into the open field. It will populate with the current permissions. Change them to what you want, and when asked to authenticate, give your admin password.

HOWEVER, that this folder isn't owned by you, might suggest that it's a necessary system folder and you will damage things by changing its permissions. Can you say what this folder is?

Sep 8, 2014 12:27 PM in response to WZZZ

Thank you WZZZ, but what I am trying to is to find out if I can lock this folder so nobody else than me can access it. By pressing Command-I, I lock it and prevent access from everybody.

But when I change it, it says that I don't have the necessary permission.

So is there any way I can put a password on this folder, which means every time I open it, it will require a password? Or is there any other way?

Sep 8, 2014 1:10 PM in response to Elizaema

I have to ask again, since you aren't being allowed to change the permissions of this folder to deny access to, I assume, "everyone," it's clear that you don't "own" this folder. That is, it doesn't belong to your user account. I don't know what the folder is or its location, but you should be very careful it's not a system folder, or some folder which, if you change its permissions, may cause some malfunction.

I already gave you a way of doing this. Please read what I wrote again.

EDITED: If you want, you can also password protect an encrypted folder.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/12/encrypt-folders-mac-os-x/

Lock A Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.