Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Airport Express to switch disables wireless

Hi experts! Here's my current configuration:

Comcast router -> Airport Express -> 8-port switch -> in-wall ethernet cords -> Airport Extreme -> Smart TV, Xbox, Sonos, etc.

I have my network set up with the Airport Express as the primary base station in my basement next to the Comcast router and 8-port switch which is connected to all of the in-wall ethernet cords for the rest of the house. Upstairs, next to the TV, is the Airport Extreme which is set up to extend my network.

My goal is to connect the switch to the Airport Express downstairs so that I can add other devices in the other rooms of the house, but as soon as I connect it to the switch, the network goes down and I can no longer connect to the internet. As soon as I unplug the switch, I'm back up and running.

Have I done something wrong in my set up? I need the Airport Extreme to be near the TV so I can connect my other devices (Xbox, Smart TV)

Please help!

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (2nd Gen)

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 8:03 AM

In your current network configuration, the AirPort Extreme should NOT be configured to extend the wireless network provided by the Express. That is, your network should be configured as a roaming network, not an extended one.

43 replies

Sep 8, 2014 8:53 AM in response to hallorandom

If your goal is also to have your network provide the best possible performance, you might want to re-think your current setup of having the AirPort Express as the "main" router and the AirPort Extreme as the "extending" router.

By that, I mean if devices are connected using Ethernet as you say, the maximum speed that the wired network will have is 100 Mbps.....because the ports on the AirPort Express are 100 Mbps, everything "downstream" of the AirPort Express will be limited to a maximum connection speed of 100 Mbps.

The ports on the AirPort Extreme are 1,000 Mbps....ten times faster than the ports on the AirPort Express. The numbers pretty much say it all.

Here, I am assuming that you have a 1,000 or Gigabit Ethernet switch. If your switch is only 100 Mbps, then you have a second "bottleneck" on your network.

Sep 8, 2014 9:23 AM in response to hallorandom

If you want the best performance from your network, it would look like this:

Modem/Router > AirPort Extreme > Switch > AirPort Express > Devices

or

Modem/Router > Switch > AirPort Extreme > AirPort Express > Devices

If you want to be able to deliver a Gigabit Ethernet connection to any of the devices near the TV, then you will need to have another AirPort Extreme there, or you could connect another 5 port Gigabit switch at the location near the TV, then connect your Ethernet devices (including the Express) to the switch.

The problem again though with the Express is this, for example. Say a wireless device is connecting to the Express at 300-400 Mbps. That connection speed gets squeezed down to 100 Mbps by the ports on the Express.

Another way of saying the same thing is that Apple unfortunately really messed up by not spending $3 more dollars to make the ports on the Express Gigabit. 😉

Sep 8, 2014 10:23 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Argh, so frustrating! I wish I would have known this when I bought it. The clerk at the Apple Store definitely missed a chance to upsell me 😕

SO...

Can I connect my network like this?

Comcast modem/router -> Switch -> in-wall ethernet cord to living room -> Airport Extreme (as primary base station, near TV) - - - Airport Express (in basement/office, configured to extend network)

Will that work?

Sep 8, 2014 10:34 AM in response to hallorandom

I would suggest a "roaming" network (to second Tesserax's suggestion).

CC Modem/Router -> Switch -> In-wall Ethernet -> WAN 'O' Port Extreme (Create a Network and SSID/password).

CC Modem/Router -> Switch -> In-wall Ethernet -> WAN 'O' Port Express (Create the same Network and SSID/password).

Locate the Extreme, where you need more wired connections.

If dual-band then use the same SSID for both 2.4G and 5G as a simple setup.

Do you need a "Guest" network?

Sep 9, 2014 5:08 PM in response to hallorandom

Ok folks, a few more questions

I'm up and running with the following configuration (thank you for helping me get this far!!):

Comcast modem/router -> Gigabit switch -> in-wall ethernet -> Airport Extreme

To add my Airport Express as a Roaming network, I've factory reset the device and am about to re-configure it. Which of the four options do I want to select to do this properly?

A. Create a new network (with the same name/pw as the Extreme)

B. Add to an existing network

C. Replace an existing device

D. Restore previous settings

I'm sure C and D are not relevant, and my gut says A. My gut is not an expert.

Also, the above-mentioned article about setting up a roaming network has screenshots that don't look like my version (6.3.1) of Airport Utility. I've looked in all of the tabs (Base station, Internet, Wireless, Network, Disks) and can't find the "Connection sharing" option. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Sep 9, 2014 5:29 PM in response to hallorandom

To add my Airport Express as a Roaming network, I've factory reset the device and am about to re-configure it. Which of the four options do I want to select to do this properly?

None of the above.

Also, the above-mentioned article about setting up a roaming network has screenshots that don't look like my version (6.3.1) of Airport Utility. I've looked in all of the tabs (Base station, Internet, Wireless, Network, Disks) and can't find the "Connection sharing" option. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Unfortunately, those instructions are 3+ years old, and bear little resemblance to the current AirPort Utility software. Good general information, but useless as far as current software is concerned. Apple has yet to respond in this regard.

Here is how to get the Express configured:

Temporarily, use a spare Ethernet cable...any length will do....to connect from one of the LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express.

Open up AirPort Utility

Click on Other Wi-Fi Devices

Click on AirPort Express

The utility will take a minute to analyze the network and connection, then announce that the AirPort Express will be configured to extend the AirPort Extreme network

Enter a device name for the AirPort Express that you want to use the click Next

Watch the next screen very carefully to confirm that the Express is now being configured to extend the AirPort Extreme network using Ethernet. This is a roaming network setup....which Apple does not tell you.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. You should have a green light on the Express.

Now move the Express to the desired location and connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port again on the Express and power it up. A green light indicates that the Express is operating correctly and your wiring is correct as well.

Please post back on your results.

Sep 9, 2014 5:24 PM in response to hallorandom

I'm sure C and D are not relevant, and my gut says A. My gut is not an expert.

It should be A. Make sure the WAN 'O' port from the Express is connected via the in-wall Ethernet to the GigE switch. Power it up, and set it up exactly as the Extreme (except the name of the Airport Express).

If you need screen shots, please post back.

Sep 9, 2014 5:46 PM in response to Loner T

Unfortunately, with AirPort Utility 6.x....."A" will be a disaster, even though it might seem right to most users.

Please see my post above for the correct setup, which AirPort Utility will automatically display when it "sees" the Express connected using Ethernet. The "A" option will not even appear......is what we are trying to say.

"A" would be correct if the Express were being set up with a simple modem.....not a router.

Connecting Airport Express to switch disables wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.