Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop a bluetooth pairing request?

A keyboard from another user in my office keeps trying to pair with my mac and I have found no way of turning that off. I am prompted every 10 seconds to type a passcode on the keyboard to pair. How do I make this stop?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 2:31 PM

I'm stuck in the same boat.

I tried removing com.apple.bluetooth.plist

option-clicking the Bluetooth icon and trying to remove the device.

Nothing is working.

It's an office with about 70 Macs, i just have to hope someone comes to me and asks why their keyboard is not working..

In the meantime, i turned bluetooth off, and gave the user a older USB wired keyboard/mouse...

There's no way to track where the keyboard actually is, but they can't reach too far, so it has to be somewhere in that area...

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2014 2:31 PM in response to camptony

I'm stuck in the same boat.

I tried removing com.apple.bluetooth.plist

option-clicking the Bluetooth icon and trying to remove the device.

Nothing is working.

It's an office with about 70 Macs, i just have to hope someone comes to me and asks why their keyboard is not working..

In the meantime, i turned bluetooth off, and gave the user a older USB wired keyboard/mouse...

There's no way to track where the keyboard actually is, but they can't reach too far, so it has to be somewhere in that area...

Sep 24, 2014 7:55 AM in response to camptony

I am having this issue as well. I "made the mistake" of connecting my iMac to a set of speakers in another room for what I thought would be just a couple of minutes; short of unplugging those speakers, though, there is no way to prevent the pairing request from interrupting my workflow every minute or so.

So far I have found NO WAY at all to get this to stop. Bluetooth IS on because the keyboard and trackpad are connected.

Apple, there must be a way to stop this?

The thing has popped up eight times while I was typing this post! I cannot have this keep happening when I am doing something that matters to my work. If this had happened in 15-day return the computer no questions asked period--and the search for a solution proved futile as it has--I would have taken the computer back to the apple store!

Sep 24, 2014 1:13 PM in response to rhp96

I made a call to Apple support and have the issue solved. Once I paired the speakers to another device, the iMac stopped asking me to pair them with a pop-up window; it still notices them if I look at the list of Bluetooth devices in System Preferences > Bluetooth, but it no longer "remembers" them as something to connect to.

It's too bad, Robman, that you couldn't have found the KB that's causing your problem because this similar approach might have helped (once the problem-causing KB was paired elsewhere).

How do I stop a bluetooth pairing request?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.