Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Showtime Anytime HDMI mirroring

I wish someone could explain digital rights in a way that actually makes sense to most human beings, but that's not the point.

I have HBO and Showtime from my cable provider. Very useful. I have the HBO and Showtime Apps on my iPad and iPhone. They both work perfectly, though I've never used them outside of my home WiFi network, so who knows if it's very useful.

Of course, I have HBO and Showtime on my Apple TV. With no discernible logic, I cannot use those Apps on my Apple TV, because....who knows. My major cable company is not included on the list of approved providers for the Apple TV apps.

But it gets weirder. My iPhone and iPad HBO and Showtime apps have more seasons of programs than my cable company's on demand system. For example, if I want to watch all 4 seasons of Boardwalk Empire, I can do it on HBO to go, but not on my cable's On Demand system. That's just ludicrous.

Now HBO allows me to do Airplay streaming through Apple TV, so this is good. Showtime, illogically does not allow AirPlay. This is well known.

TL;DR

So here's my question: I know there are no workarounds to AirPlay blocking, but I was considering buying a Lightning to HDMI cable for my iPad, hoping that the hardware mirroring will work perfectly. It's a $50 proposition, so I don't want to get it if the app blocks Airplay as well as HDMI mirroring. I couldn't find an answer in searching the internet. People seem to conflate Airplay with HDMI mirroring, so I can't dig out an answer.

I just wish my Apple TV could get the content, because it's so much faster than Cable's On Demand system, but a temporary fix is better than nothing.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 7, White, the fastest color.

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 5:54 PM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2015 9:09 PM in response to OrangeMarlin

I just bought the digital av adapter, hoping to mirror my iPad screen onto a spare TV in my basement while working out. Generally works well (HBO, YouTube, Netflix), but showtime gives me a message that it's not supported. Apparently only works with the apple TV (built in app, not mirroring or AirPlay). Thinking I might just break down and go roku instead.

Showtime Anytime HDMI mirroring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.